16

**TW**

This chapter contains mentions of sexual assault and forms of self-injury (hair pulling, scratching, things like that). Also talks about throwing up, and descriptions of panic attacks. But it also has a wholesome moment so.

Webbing his backpack to a wall beside a rotting dumpster, Peter quickly climbed up the wall of the building. Once Peter reached the top, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, allowing his breathing to slow down and his senses to become heightened. Some days his visual sensory input became too much for him to focus on anything else, so he learned that completely blocking his vision helps enhance his hearing.

Peter had just finished his first day at the internship and his excitement and stress levels were bubbling and overflowing out of him even after he was far from the building. It was still early in the night, only a quarter past seven o'clock, but the sky was still rapidly darkening. The darkness was usually peaceful, serene, soothing; however, tonight was different. The usual darkness that Peter had grown accustomed to now buzzed and tickled his senses, causing goosebumps to erupt on every inch of his skin. Murmurs echoed throughout the alleyways and streets of Queens, and all Peter could do was listen and push through the unsettling feelings. He couldn't allow the noises to unsettle him, he had to fulfill his duty to protect his city.

Leaping off of the edge of the structure, Peter swiftly caught himself with one of his webs and began swinging above the roads and hundreds of cars driving on top of them. People of all ages wandered the streets, window shopping and popping in and out of different stores. Kids held their parents' hands as they weaved and swerved between different obstacles on the sidewalk, and Peter softly smiled, wishing he could go back to that innocent age again. Landing on top of a different building, Peter felt his ankles twist and pop, causing him to stumble to the ground. His ankles were fine, but they felt weaker and incapable of doing anything. Groaning, he stood straight and stretched his body out, ignoring the ache that spread through his whole body.

However, his stretching was quickly interrupted by a tingle, a tingle he could only describe as his spider-sense. Closing his eyes again, Peter could feel someone's distressed and desperate hobbling. Two sets of footsteps stumbled through what sounded like a narrow alleyway, just a few meters away from the building he currently stood on. Focusing in on their heartbeats, Peter could hear their mismatched beating swaying through the bitter breeze. One of them was obviously distressed, while the other seemed calm with slight adrenaline coursing through them. Sighing, Peter opened his eyes and swung towards the panting and throbbing, hoping it wasn't going to be too serious.

Clinging to one of the walls of the alley, Peter crept closer to the sounds of desperate sobbing and murmuring. He could feel the hopelessness radiating from the person as strong as the rays from the sun in a burning summer. Allowing his eyesight to intensify to the best of its abilities, Peter's vision began to clear up, granting him night vision. Laying on the filthy ground was a girl, no older than seventeen, shoving and kicking a man who sat on top of her. A hand covered her mouth, while the other assisted in pinning her to the ground. It was obvious what the man was about to do, and Peter's disgust overpowered him. Springing onto the ground, Peter kicked a soda can at the man. He startled and stood up, swiftly pulling a knife out of his pocket.

"Get out of here, kid." The man grumbled, kicking the girl's side as he stood, and Peter narrowed his eyes at him. He was in his late forties, and it was obvious that time had not been generous with his aging.

"You do realize this is illegal for multiple reasons, right?" Peter tilted his head to the side gently, giving him a tight lip smile that he most likely couldn't see due to his mask. "I'd recommend you get out of here before the cops arrive. I already called them and they're on their way." Lies. "Bye-bye" Peter lifted his hand and wiggled his fingers, giving him a condescending wave. The man gritted his teeth and lunged toward Peter who easily dodged him.