💎 TWENTY / THE BOOGEYMAN

The razor sharp pointed heels took one step after another, echoing through the vast presidential hallway. Jet black and the epitome of luxury, they were a staple for Isis these days. She never thought she'd go from fifth street knockoffs that could barely hold her up on a good night, to designer shoes that could pay someone's rent.

She wouldn't consider herself materialistic. Never had. Isis understood the game of life, though. You had to look the part to be in certain rooms - to impress certain people. Even if your morality screamed at the top of its lungs, calling you all types of sellouts.

How could she wear shoes that could help a starving foster kid, as if she hadn't starved herself? How could she sell the souls of women, as if hers hadn't been sold? How could she agree to reign supreme for the same dynasty that ripped her from her mother - at the instruction of her mother?

Isis constantly fought with the duality of her decisions. Today was no different. But today was important, so she had to suck it up and be the boss that everyone expected her to be.

"I trust you. You are smart. Always have been."

Those were the words from Sachi early that morning. She called Isis to wish her good luck on her first meeting. Menelik, despite being the black sheep of the family, had created connections that Sachi and Haru failed to.

According to Akita, it was his charm and undeniable knowledge that got the job done. Sachi and Haru were too old school and didn't understand the current market.

Isis was the bridge. Sachi didn't trust Menelik as far as she could throw him, and his solid build of 220 proved that wasn't an easy feat. And while she loved her daughters, none of them possessed the strength of her firstborn.

"Thank you... Mom."

Those words still felt foreign in her mouth.
"I won't let you down."

For the first time in her life, Isis could make her mother proud. All of those stolen moments had finally been returned to its rightful owner.

The conversation with her mom played over and over until she landed outside two massive doors. It was the office of Mr. Kindred Owens - the running senator for Nevada. Just staring at his gold plated name told her she was no longer in the minor league - this was big time.

"Good morning." Isis plastered on a polite smile as she approached security. "I have an appointment with Mr. Owens. Could you let him know I've arrived?"

"Name?"

"I'm his 9 o'clock," she clarified.

His pale skin grew red. "I asked for your name, not the time of your appointment. What is your name, ma'am?"

Just as Isis opened her mouth to snap back at him, out walked a very handsome Mr. Owens.
His eyes immediately fell upon her, then to his security guard.

"Ed, that's no way to talk to anyone that's coming to see me," he checked him. "I'm sorry, miss...Chan?"

"Yes, correct." Isis nodded. "And it's fine. Not everyone is a morning person."

She gave the security guard another polite smile, although deep down she wanted to give his round ass her behind to kiss. She wasn't there for that, unfortunately.

"How was your drive in?" Kindred asked, circling his desk.

Isis sauntered in behind him, gazing around at the attractive office. While she loved the decor, she was trying to get a profile. He was neat. His space was impeccable - from the way he hung his suit jacket down to the pen that was carefully placed on his desk pointed north.