Chapter 5 - Happier

Over the next days, Rain would initiate a call between him and Taylor. He would mostly ramble on about his plans during term break, small injuries brought by his continued learning of skateboard, small fights with River or funny memes he saw online.

Taylor will indulge him and before ending the call, will always remind him about studying hard, behaving well and driving safe.

They've met for lunch twice and once for coffee since the ramen treat date. A few weeks passed and this routine continued. The highlight of Taylor's day will always be Rain's call that will come at various times of the day. Today, it was while Kuya Fred's driving him to his parent's house in Rizal.

As usual, Rain rambled on about some funny vids he saw online and food he would like to try based on IG feeds he saw this morning. "It seems I always talk about food whenever I call you. Is it boring? And though I'm late asking, what are you doing? Are you not busy today?"

Taylor laughed a little and assured Rain. "No, it's not boring. I love listening to you talk about anything. And no, I am not busy. Kuya Fred's driving me to my parent's house."

"Oh. Does Kuya Fred always drive you around?" Rain asked.

"Mostly yes. But I can drive myself if the situation demands it." Taylor answered. "Anyway, it's the weekend. Try not to quarrel with your twin and go have some fun with your friends. I'll talk to you later." Taylor ended the call as soon as Rain said bye.

Taylor looked at the passing scenery. A small smile remains in his lips. He's somewhat conflicted with his friendship with Rain but admits that every interaction he had with this boy brings some joy in his otherwise serious and competition filled life.

His eyes met the driver's in the rearview mirror. "Taylor, parang mas masaya ka lagi ngayon.", (You seem happier these days.) Kuya Fred smilingly commented. Kuya Fred has been with Taylor since he was in elementary and Kuya Fred in his late 20s. His mother assigned him as a driver/bodyguard since that horrible day when he was stabbed by a knife at his left shoulder. To say that he treats Kuya Fred as family is definitely not false. Taylor had always insisted that Kuya Fred calls him Taylor instead of his usual 'Sir Taylor' but Kuya Fred will oftentimes forget. There were a handful times that he noticed Kuya Fred purposely called him just 'Taylor' and that is when Kuya Fred needed to speak his mind about a situation that involves Taylor's well-being. And Taylor doesn't mind that at all. Taylor trusts Kuya Fred to always keep him safe physically and emotionally. He can vent all he wants, and the older man will listen anytime of the day. He can tell all his secrets to this person, and he would never have to worry that another soul will know about said secrets. Thus, a comment like this coming from Kuya Fred is not something Taylor will consider as being nosy.

"Am I? Hmmm, maybe, I'm not really sure po." Taylor answered truthfully.

Kuya Fred just nodded a few times to this statement. He watched this child grew from a boy to a man. Honestly speaking, he never saw Taylor act like a child even when he first met Taylor when Taylor was just ten years old. The boy always acted serious and mature for his age. Silent and always focused on studying when he was young and now that Taylor's a grown man, his world revolved around work. This has always concerned Kuya Fred.

Kuya Fred and his wife were not blessed with children, so he felt like Taylor is God's way of letting him and his wife be parents once in a while. His wife runs a small bakery store in Rizal. He had brought Taylor a few times at the bakery and though the child remained silent, Kuya Fred can see the undisguised joy in the child's eyes. His wife would always ask if there was anything Taylor would like to eat. His wife will always feed Taylor sweet breads and sometimes sneak in soft drinks which Taylor consumed wordlessly. A few years later, an orphaned nephew, Ethan, came to live with Kuya Fred and his wife, but this did not diminish the care the couple had for Taylor. Over the years, Kuya Fred will from time to time bring treats for Taylor that his wife baked or prepared. Even now that Taylor's a grown man, the habit of indulging him as if Taylor was their son never stopped. And so, seeing that Taylor's happy these days made Kuya Fred happy as well. It does not matter whatever or whoever's the reason for that happiness, he vowed to be on Taylor's side on this no matter what.