Chapter 1 - Spring at the top of snowy Mt. Naeba

"These boots are killing me!" Rain Marcus Castillo complained as he stumbled while walking on his snowboarding boots.

"Suck it up! You wanted to learn the sport, endure all the struggle that comes with it. Otherwise, all my effort to teach you skateboarding so you will have a head start on this will be for nothing." Fallon, Rain's sister's best friend reprimanded. The group's in Naeba Prince Ski Resort in Echigo-Yuzawa.

Rain's a twin. His twin, River Marie Castillo studies at a different univ from him. Rain is of course familiar with her set of friends from that univ since River and him is still as inseparable as they were in their mom's baby pouch. And though they are fraternal twins, one can see a great resemblance on each of them. However, those resemblance is on the side of feminine features. Like their eyebrows that are clean looking, have the right thickness, perfectly arched and does need any maintenance. Their amber eyes that give River a fierce look but on Rain, it looks mysterious. They even have the same hair, wavy brown trimmed just below the jaw which Archer, her twin's boyfriend, finds annoying because he and River look the same when one is just looking at the back of their head. And that is why Rain is often described as beautiful instead of handsome.

Ash, Fallon's boyfriend and Archer's older brother, bent slightly sideways towards Fallon and whispered in Fallon's ear. "I kinda like this strict version of you. It's hot!" which earned an arm slap from Fallon.

River's boyfriend Archer wanted to take River on a vacation, but their parents of course will not agree unless he, Rain will go too. They ended up planning the trip weeks before they even got permission. And when he learned that they are going to Japan for skiing, and that River's best friend, Fallon knows how to snowboard, he begged Fallon to teach him how.

A couple of weeks before they flew to Tokyo, Fallon taught him how to skateboard as a starter training for snowboarding. That was the first time Rain met the tough version of Fallon. Fallon's usually timid and quiet. Rain cannot seem to remember Fallon's voice the first month he's known him. But he noticed a slight change after Fallon and Ash became official. Although Fallon seems livelier, he's still quiet and shy. But all that changed when he's atop a board. Whether it's skateboarding or snowboarding, Fallon transforms into this tough swoon worthy guy. He claims not being a fan of wakeboarding and surfing, but River said she has seen Fallon do these activities too.

And so yesterday, as soon as they arrive at Naeba, he was so excited that he just dumped his bag and luggage at his room and knocked on Ash and Fallon's room. A confused Ash opened the door and before Ash can react, he entered the room, excitedly telling Fallon: "Let's go, let's go, let's go!"

Fallon rolled his eyes. "Unzip your down jacket and show me what you have under it."

Rain hugged himself, turning slightly away from Fallon, pretending to be scandalized.

"Oh please! Hindi kita pagnanasaan (will not have any desire for you). In case you failed to notice, I have a very hot boyfriend!" to which the hot boyfriend reacted by hooking Fallon's waist and side hugging him and turning to Rain saying,

"Go on, unzip it!" while motioning with his fingers up and down Rain's person.

Rain unzipped his jacket and showed them his hoodie, t-shirt and denim jeans.

"Replace the hoodie with fleece jacket and the jeans with softer fabric pants but wear your long johns inside it. The jacket and ski pants will be provided by the rental shop. You can just store your down jacket at the lockers." Ash instructed and Fallon nodded.

After changing, he saw that his twin and her boyfriend, Archer has joined Ash and Fallon. Rain then pulled Fallon to the rental shop at the ground floor. After getting their gear, they walked to the nearby locker which has an exit right at the bottom of the slope.

Fallon started teaching him. And like when he was teaching him to skateboard, the usually soft spoken and shy tempered Fallon transforms into a strict and scary trainer. Coupled with his good looks, the sight of Fallon strictly coaching him is really an amazing sight. Cannot really blame Ash for obsessing over this guy.

That was yesterday, and today they started early to get most out of the lift pass that Ash, Fallon and Archer availed so they can snowboard from a higher point. At the present, they were walking to the side of the hotel past the lift. According to Fallon, there is a crepe stand that way. There are also few skiers and boarders at that area which is ideal for River and Archer's plan to sled.

When they reached the crepe store, Rain let them order for him and tiredly sat on one of the picnic tables in the store's front. They are about ready to retire for the day as Archer, Ash and Fallon's lift pass expires at 5pm.

"Wanna take a break from practice tomorrow? We could take the morning off so we can sleep in and then after we have lunch, we can ride the dragondola." Fallon proposed.

"Yes, let's!" River answered. "It's kinda boring to stay here at the foot of the slope and sled. The only excitement I have is to wait with bated breath as I watch the three of you attempt to get a glimpse of heaven by rushing down a high place at the speed of God knows what." River complained

"You're exaggerating Hon." Archer says. "The slope we've chosen is not that difficult. Ash will not even allow Fallon to go higher than the top of that lift." Pointing to the lift they just passed before the crepe store.

"Besides, you have Rain with you when I'm up there." Fallon interjected.

"Fffft! As if! He ignores me and shoos me away as he practices." River said.

"Don't worry, we'll be back in Tokyo the day after tomorrow. You can then have your moment." Archer consoled his honey.

***

The next day they rode the shuttle in front of the check-in lobby bound for the dragondola station. The group thoroughly enjoyed the 20-minute ride. At the last station, one can have a warm drink and snack as the summit boast a stylist restaurant. The group decided to have some warm drinks before going back. They walked on a path lined with "parked" skis and boards before they reach the entrance.

Inside, Rain sat on a counter situated along the glass wall while telling River, "I'll have iced americano."

"This weird taste of yours will send you to your demise one day. ", River widened her eyes at Rain as she scolds him. River and anybody for that matter finds him weird whenever they learned that he prefers iced coffee and ice cream on winter. River once blamed him for not enjoying a winter break they had as a family. River caught a bad cold when, in the dead of winter a couple of years back, he encouraged her to try the waffle ice cream sold as a street food in Myeong-dong.

After a minute of people watching, a tall man entered Rain's line of vision, wearing snowboarding gears and carrying his board. After the man 'parked' his board on a wooden fence next to the restaurant, he removed his knitted hat and raised his googles.

Rain gasped. That man had the most alluring eyes Rain has ever seen in his entire life. Expressive with a hint of mystery framed with thick eyelashes. Eyes that will not directly look but will observe you by slightly lowering the eyelids and will scrutinize you slightly sideways. It was so mesmerizing that he was surprised when River suddenly placed his drink in front of him saying, "Here you go, one super cold drink to warm your frozen heart." Sticking out her tongue at him.

Rain ignored her and continued to follow the man with his eyes. Just as the man was about to leave his sight, he suddenly looked back straight at Rain. After a moment, he turned back and continued walking out of sight. Rain's heart thumped loudly.

"What's wrong? Don't tell me you're annoyed by what I said.", River told him.

Rain shook his head before answering, "No. I think I practiced snowboarding too much and fell one too many.". He could swear that for a moment when his and that man's eyes met, he smelled the sweetness of fuji, he felt a gentle breeze and he can hear the slight rustling of falling ume and sakura petals. He must have gone crazy for a moment, feeling like spring has come in the snowy summit of Mt. Naeba.