High School Sweetheart {Nendo x reader}

Spring brought about new beginnings and, for you, a fresh start. Your family moved districts to be slightly closer to your mother's job. It wasn't too hard on anyone in the family except your dad. He kinda had an incident with the moving boxes falling on him, but he's okay now. It's nice to know that your mother snapped a picture which is now the first one in your new home. Your mother had a truly twisted sense of humor, and your father was just there for the ride. At the moment, you could only stare at the picture before you headed out for your first day at a new school. You had no idea if the photo would give you strength for your day like some sort of crazy inspirational poster, but it was worth a shot. You must write on the frame," Crawl out of the depths of despair."

Giving a firm nod, you make your way to the school. Your mother said they get a lot of transfer students, so you should have an easy time adjusting. That being said, how the hell were you supposed to get there?! Your dad told you, but you couldn't remember. Of course, this happens on your first day. A heavy sigh escaped you as you began to walk in the best possible direction. The city is only so big, and you're supposed to already live near the school so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Ten minutes later, you gave up. It was hopeless, and now you have no idea how even to head back home. Class starts in another ten minutes. The scenery was lovely, however, with the trees in full bloom, the cloud-free sky, and the guy running full speed down the street. Wait, how can a person run that fast?! He passed you easily, the breeze it caused fluttering your clothes. The man came to a complete stop a couple of feet ahead of you, turning to look in your direction." Hey, are you on your way to class too?"

"Um, yeah. I'm actually seriously lost! I'm gonna be late for my first day..." You felt so defeated at this point and you're only hope was this guy helping you out. So hopefully he'd help you-

"Alright then, let's get going new buddy!"

"Huh," you questioned before being picked up by the guy who started to run in what you think is the direction of the school. Even though he was carrying you the way he held on to you was gentle and you could tell he was making sure not to jostle you around. It was sweet, maybe you might make a friend this school year after all. Your mom was right. You both made it to the shoe locker room where he set you down and patted your head.

"Not late now, am I right buddy?" Buddy, it was odd to hear off the tongue of someone you just met, yet it felt right. Now that you were both stopped you could get a better look at him. Being so anxious earlier really left you in a dazed state so you never gave him a once-over. He was tall, with an odd haircut, and a cute smile. He was rough around the edges, but not bad to look at. His personality was beautiful though.

After that day, you and Nendo, as you've come to learn, hung out a lot. It got you both a lot of weird looks since most of the school saw Nendo as weird, annoying, and ugly. He was more in touch with his inner child and he was not model hot, but to you, he was as perfect as a human could get. He had such a gentle soul. Anytime you were hungry he got snacks, he always carried your bag, and he made sure always to include you. Every day he walked you to school, sometimes carrying you there. You sometimes went over to his home where you met his mother whom he resembled a lot. He always doted on her and you when you came over, sometimes making you all dinner. Times like this made you feel so special. This was the Nendo you wished everyone saw, the one he always will be. But people are cruel.

He never cared though. His friend group easily became yours too. You did become friends with Teruhashi, Mira, Mikoto, and Yumehara. All of you spent summers and school time hanging out. You did however hear from the girls that Teruhashi had a crush on Nendo, though Teruhashi denied that fact. You had no idea if she was honest or lying to save face. It didn't matter, you told her that you'd win Nendo by the end and all the girls were shocked. I mean, they didn't think anyone would fight for Nendo of all people. No matter what was said that day, you all had a close friendship. Your parents were more than elated that you made such fast friends after just moving.

A couple of years went by and it was graduation day. So much happened during your time at PK Academy, but one thing remained the same. Your love for Nendo. You never could bring yourself to confess to him, and whether Teruhashi felt the same, she didn't either. You grew far closer to Nendo since your first day. There were many times Nendo took you on picnics, out for ramen, etc. He did take you to his father's grave the year prior and opened up about how he wanted to graduate and impress his old man." I want to stay by your side," were words that never left your mind. You knew Nendo could be serious and that he said things in weird ways, but that comment gave you hope he felt the same. You both spent so much time together that your family sometimes celebrated holidays together, and they gossiped about how cute the both of you were. You always got so embarrassed while it fell on Nendo's deaf ears. You were tired of not knowing, tired of being so close yet so far, tired of not being about to kiss him...you had to confess before your feeling ate you alive. That's why you both stood on the roof of the school dressed in your graduation outfits.

"Man, look at everyone down there. They look like little ants! What do ya think buddy?" You stood off to the side working up your last bit of courage. Nendo was as cheerful as ever, glancing at you every now and then. Bringing yourself to speak was more difficult than you thought, the silence not going past Nendo. You both talked so easily so why did you remain quiet? He turned to face you, body towering over you. God, he was even taller now than when you met." You okay {Y/N}?"

He never used your first name. Was this the first time? It was, why?" You said-. Nevermind I'm fine," scrunching your nose you looked up at him. He looked so worried, yet he patiently waited on you. You couldn't stay quiet, not now." Actually, I'm not. I want to tell you something, but I'm conflicted. You mean more to me than anyone else. I...I am so happy I met you that day when I was running late. I had no idea where I was going. You showed up like some sort of knight in shining armor. These years together have been the best of my life and soon...soon they'll be gone. You'll be gone."

"I'd never leave you. We're bound for life and nothings changing that. Don't feel scared to tell me something like that."

"That's not what I was scared about. I've waited to say it, but I really adore you. I want to go out with you." He looked shocked but then started laughing. You were shocked too, never did you think he'd laugh at you. You stood gaping at him until his laughter died down. He smiled and scooped you up.

"Haven't we been dating for the last two years?" What?

"What?" That was the only word on your mind. There was no way. Were you an idiot? Did you miss some sort of heartfelt confession?

"I thought you knew. I liked you after the first few weeks of knowing you. I wanted to always be with ya'. My mom said to take you out and show you how I felt. I thought since you accepted it you liked me too and that we were dating. Were we not?" You looked at his innocent face. He was all smiles until the final question.

"Nendo, you have to tell the girl you like them and ask them to date you. I've liked you too for about the same amount of time. I'm such an idiot for not noticing your feeling." He smiled wide and set you down. He held both your hands close with a gentleness you only felt from him.

"Oh! I didn't know that. Okay, let me do it right! {Y/N}, I like you. You're the bestest buddy I've ever had. Even better than Saiki, but don't tell him that. You've never judged me and you eat more ramen than me. You're a total hotty and I want you to grow old with me. So, your mine. Or is it be mine?" He kept trying to figure out the proper phrasing, but you got the sentiment. Leaning up you pressed a kiss on his cheek.

"I'll be yours. I just can't believe you thought we were dating and never kissed me."

"I didn't want to be rude.." He leaned down and kissed your forehead. You both heard small claps and cheers behind you. Both of you turned to see everyone standing by the door.

"Sorry, we didn't want you two to miss the graduation ceremony. Who knew you'd be making out," Makoto was smirking to herself, but you knew she was just teasing. You smiled at your friends and before you knew it Nendo had picked you up running to your friends. That moment was cemented in a photo Kaido managed to get. A photo that sat on the table near the entrance to your home, one you shared with your high school sweetheart.