Act IX: Comrades in Arms (Part 1)

A/N: In the name of the Moon, this penultimate Act will consist of five chapters!

"What's the matter Artemis?" asked Luna upon returning to Makoto's apartment.

The white cat didn't answer immediately. "I've come to a decision, Luna," he announced.

"Oh?"

"I'm leaving."

Luna looked stunned. "You're leaving?" she exclaimed.

"I can't sit idly by any longer, watching the world burn around us, watching Minako hurt herself. I'm leaving to find Setsuna and the others."

"What? This is out of the blue."

"I've been thinking about it for a while. The situation has changed. It's not fair for Minako and Ami to carry the burden alone. It's time for the outer soldiers to rejoin the fight."

"But Setsuna hasn't been replying to our messages, and we lost touch with the others."

"That's why I'm going to find them. Now."

"Now?" the black cat repeated, shaking her head in confusion. "Why now? Can't it wait until Ami and Minako return?"

Artemis lowered his head. "We don't know that they're going to return this time, Luna," he said in a grave tone. "If they do, well, keep an eye on Minako for me." He then nuzzled his mate and stepped out onto Makoto's balcony.

"Artemis, wait..." Luna started, unsure of what to say, her eyes watery. "Be safe."

The white cat nodded and smiled reassuringly, then departed.

***

"That's right, humans. Kneel before Turboost!" declared a purple-skinned, humanoid Youma with a car grille for a chest plate and exhaust pipes mounted on its back. It advanced on a group of frightened civilians, backing them into one of the mall's many fast-food restaurants, where they cowered behind chairs and tables.

"Please, no!" a mother cried as the monster raised its arms in her direction, turning, and shielding her two small children with her body.

The Youma's body began to reverberate loudly like a racer waiting on a green light, and it taunted, "It's time to surrender your energy!"

The children cried out in fear. However, all the noise abruptly changed to a sputtering and rattling, reminiscent of a stalled engine. Noticing this, the mother turned her head and surveyed their assailant from the feet upward.

The monster's arms had dropped to its sides, and its face was frozen in an expression of surprise. There was a smoking, gaping hole in its forehead. The woman flinched as the monster crumpled to the floor and the purple parts of it seemed to dissolve into the air.

Framed in the restaurant doorway, beyond what was now a heap of scrap metal, stood a sailor-suited young woman with shoulder-length blonde hair, her clasped hands outstretched as if pointing an imaginary gun. "It's okay now," she said quietly.