Act V: Secrets and Liars (Part 3)

"Did you hear me, doll freak?" Makoto yelled, her voice hoarse and her body still showing signs of damage from Jumpstart's attack. "I said leave them, or I will take my own life! You'll have lost what you came for—my energy— as well as your battery-powered friend. What will your boss think of that, huh?"

Maladoll stopped dead in its tracks and its drill ceased spinning. "Fine," it agreed. "But we're leaving now. If you fight, I will kill the Sailor Soldier and these strange creatures."

"I won't fight," Makoto responded, lowering the stone-filled shaking hand from her neck and staggering toward the monster. Maladoll grabbed her tightly by the arm and pulled her to the damaged jungle gym. Makoto thought he was retrieving Jumpstart's remains, but he picked up a small object lying near the car battery, instead. It was a black gemstone.

"Mercury! Please, you must get up!" Luna begged the dazed guardian.

As Ami raised her head from the floor to take in the situation, she and Makoto locked eyes. Somehow, she knew that Makoto was silently saying goodbye. She couldn't bear the thought of losing another of her old friends, but her body simply wouldn't move the way her mind wanted it to. She cursed herself for not taking physical training as seriously as the other soldiers. She had always relied on the power of her mind, but it was of no use to her right now.

"It's time to go, human," said Maladoll, holding the crystal out before them. A distortion began to appear and soon became a swirling portal. However, with a flash of yellow, Maladoll's arm pieces and the gem were blasted away, and the portal closed abruptly.

"She's not going anywhere with you!" declared Sailor V with her left hand on her hip and the other pointed at the Youma.

"Sailor V!" Luna proclaimed with relief. However, her face fell when she saw that the masked soldier's left hand was awkwardly placed to disguise supporting her bruised ribs. Despite appearing in time to prevent Makoto's kidnap, Minako was not in fighting form, especially against a monster such as Maladoll.

"Another Sailor Soldier?" Maladoll asked as his arm parts reconnected.

"That's right!" Ami asserted, now back on her feet, though a little shaky. "There are two of us now, and Sailor V possesses the Legendary Silver Crystal!"

Makoto and Luna frowned in confusion at this odd pronouncement but didn't contradict it.

"Release the woman and we may spare you!" Ami continued.

Understanding what Ami was trying to do, Sailor V added, "Resist, and I will destroy you like I did your comrades!"

"Oh?" Maladoll enquired. "Show me the crystal, then."

"I will reveal it to you in your final moments, if you force me to," Sailor V replied.

"Your attack was weak. I don't believe you," Maladoll concluded, then hurled Makoto across the park. "Wait for me while I deal with these two, human!"

Makoto landed hard and didn't appear to be moving. As Luna carefully ran around the park's edge to check on her, the fight began. Maladoll threw a flying punch at each of the guardians.

"Crescent Boomerang!" yelled Sailor V, tossing her Crescent Compact and smashing each of the arms to bits as Mercury scooped up Artemis. Sailor V covered her with her finger beams until the white cat was placed at Luna's side. Her rays of light were enough to keep Maladoll busy, but they weren't inflicting any damage. The Youma would just reform every time some of its doll limbs were blasted away.

Noticing this, Mercury reactivated her visor and began scanning the monster more closely. She had to find a weakness and devise a new plan. They couldn't afford a prolonged battle with Minako in the condition she was in. Worse yet, she didn't want to risk her having to use her full powers again.