Act VII: Cleansing Fire (Part 1)

"Oh, hello, dear," said Nurse Shizuka brightly as Makoto approached the nurses' station on Rei's floor of the hospital

"Oh, hello, dear," said Nurse Shizuka brightly as Makoto approached the nurses' station on Rei's floor of the hospital. "How are you? I don't think I've seen you in a while. That might be down to me being shuffled from department to department due to the energy sickness crisis, though."

Makoto knew the nurse wasn't admonishing her, so answered truthfully, "I'm good, thanks. You're right, it has been a week or so since I visited. Work's been crazy. Sounds like it's been no better here, huh?"

"You can say that again," said Shizuka, sighing dramatically. "We just can't keep up! Last week we had to clear out all non-critical wards to make room for all the incoming, unconscious patients. We treat them as quickly as possible and send them home as soon as they regain consciousness, but there are more new cases every day. Yesterday, we had to redirect incoming ambulances to other hospitals!"

"That's terrible," Makoto said. "What about this ward? Rei isn't at risk of being moved, is she?"

"Oh, no. There was talk of that, but Dr. Mizuno put a stop to it, and a good thing, too! These patients need special care," said Shizuka.

Makoto smiled weakly. She knew full well that Ami didn't visit Rei, but it seemed she still cared in her own way, however indirectly.

"Dr. Mizuno was the one who came up with the treatment protocol for energy sickness, you know. It sped up the recovery process by a whole day. If it weren't for her, we'd be completely swamped! She's not the most social, but we're certainly lucky to have her on staff, and so is Miss Hino. Have the two of you met?"

"We've crossed paths," Makoto responded evasively. "How is Rei anyw—"

As if in answer to her question, a girl's screams began to rend the air.

"Oh, dear," said Nurse Shizuka before using the telephone to page a doctor, then hurrying off in the direction of the commotion.

"Is that Rei?" Makoto questioned as the girl's shrieks escalated.

"Sound like she's having one of her episodes," said Shizuka as another nurse followed her to Rei's room. As they entered, she pushed the door closed and gestured for Makoto to wait in the corridor beyond the long-windowed wall.

It had been a long time since Makoto had seen Rei having one of her fits. The usually non-responsive girl seemed more agitated than she had ever seen her, though. Makoto folded her arms tightly around her chest and covered her mouth with one hand, finding it difficult to see her old friend in such a state.

Rei's face was contorted with a mixture of fear and rage, and the nurses had to hold her down as she fought and kicked with all her might. The soft restraints that bound her wrists would surely have broken otherwise.

With her free arm, Nurse Shizuka injected a needle into Rei's intravenous tube. They continued to hold Rei for a few minutes before Makoto heard the second nurse exclaim, "What's going on?"