Act II: V for Vigilante (Part 3)

"You're welcome," Sailor V added. Risa, who appeared to be in shock, did not respond. However, after a few moments, she raised her arms and pointed her gun at her vigilante savior.

Sailor V rolled her eyes at this and turned away from the lieutenant, unbothered by the move of aggression. Instead, she focused on the matter at hand; her opponent. As the smoke cleared, his damaged, limping figure became visible.

"Well, that's good news," she said, observing the lizard-man's injuries. "Your resistance to bullets had me worried for a minute."

Apparently, while impervious to physical wounds such as gunfire, he was vulnerable to energy-based attacks.

The lizard-man roared with frustration. "Wounds like these are nothing!" he spat as he flexed his muscles and cast away the tattered remains of his cloak.

"You sure?" said Sailor V with an air of mockery. "Looks pretty painful."

"Wait, were you watching?" piped up Risa, taking in the meaning behind Sailor V's words. "You used me to observe his abilities, didn't you?"

"Don't tell me you wanted my help?" Sailor V taunted. "In any case, you're not going to be of any help here, so be a good girl and run along."

Risa scowled, and after a moment of indecision, left the scene and the monster to the infuriating hero, and observed from afar.

The monster cracked its knuckles and cricked his neck. "I've been waiting for you, Sailor Soldier," said the reptilian monster.

"Oh, a fan? Did you want an autograph?" Sailor V replied facetiously. Internally, meanwhile, she concluded that he had attacked the town to draw her out. But why?

"No, not that," he smirked, then thrust out his claw, firing one of his blasts.

Sailor V deftly dodged it with a swift cartwheel, then as the resounding explosion followed, she returned fire with her pointed finger, releasing a thin ray of yellow light. She expected it to pierce the monster's body but was surprised to see it deflected by a claw cloaked in purple energy.

"Interesting," she commented, then proceeded to fire multiple beams at him in rapid succession. Upon witnessing him dodge or deflect each, she smiled, baring her teeth, and charged at him with incredible agility. The two clashed and began a fierce hand-to-hand exchange.

Minako was surprised to find that of the punches he couldn't parry and the kicks he couldn't block, the monster was able to withstand the powerful blows enhanced by her Sailor Soldier transformation. Contrastingly, his attacks were landing hard enough to breech her suit's defensive properties.

Still, she pressed on, but after over two minutes of sustained combat, the fighters sensed a mutual understanding and separated, creating some distance between themselves. They sized each other up as they caught their breath.

Minako was worried. The other enemies she had fought of late had been dispatched with ease. Their appearances hadn't even made the news. However, it seemed like the powers afforded to her as Sailor V might not be enough against an opponent like this, even after all the years she had spent training her body and honing her martial arts skills.

"Why don't you use your full powers, woman?" the monster hissed.

Minako couldn't help raising her eyebrows in shock. How did he know she was holding back? It was particularly annoying because he would be no match for her true power, but there was no need to resort to that. Not yet.

"I don't need them for an opponent of your level," she quipped in response, but his brief hint of knowledge concerned her.

"We shall see," the monster replied with a grin, then began running around the battlefield while firing a barrage of his energy blasts.