Act VIII: The Calm Before the Storm (Part 4)

Makoto shook her head as she caught sight of her reflection in the Italian restaurant's window. What had she been thinking? The midnight blue dress was far too showy for a first date, but this, of course, was not a date. It was just a meal between friends and colleagues. It didn't need to be a romantic thing. Ren would have to accept that. But could she?

Ren Mori was charming, funny, handsome, sensitive, and taller than her in heels, which was a big plus, but as they were shown to their candlelit table, Makoto couldn't help feeling conflicted. How long had it been since she had last dated anyway? Many men had asked her out over the years, but she had always politely declined, telling herself that she was too busy for such trivial matters as romance. In truth, though, the idea of dating felt somehow futile.

Usagi and Mamoru had shared a love that transcended lifetimes; a connection so powerful, it was supposed to have been the key to Earth's bright future. With Usagi's death, they—and the world—had been denied that destined, epic love. No relationship Makoto pursued could ever compare, so she wasn't sure it was worthwhile or even fair for her to try.

Still, as she sat down across the table from Ren, her eyes lingering on his chiseled jaw and full lips, she wondered whether it was finally time to allow herself to explore this part of her life. Usagi certainly would have wanted her to. For a moment, Makoto imagined her life as it could have been. She pictured herself meeting Usagi, Minako, Ami, and Rei for lunch, and their excited faces as she recounted details of the date with Ren.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Ren, his eyebrow raised with intrigue.

"Huh?" Makoto responded.

"It looked like you were lost in thought," said Ren.

"Oh? I guess I was thinking about... Something silly, I can't remember what. Anyway, what's good here?"

"They have the best pasta in all of Tokyo! I'm obsessed with their Spaghetti Bolognese. It might sound like a boring choice, but trust me, you've never had Bolognese the way they make it here! If you want, we can get a couple of different dishes and share?"

Seeing Ren's excitement, Makoto felt like she needed to make her position clear. "Listen, Ren, about this da—dinner—it's just a meal between friends, right?"

"Of course," Ren replied immediately, seemingly unaffected. "If that's really what you want. Is it, though?"

Taken aback by the question, Makoto admitted with a sigh, "I... I don't know."

The waiter arrived at that moment with menus and took their drink orders. Ren ordered a pricey bottle of wine for them to share. Following this, the pair sat in silence for a few minutes while looking over the appetizers. Finally, Makoto said, "Listen, Ren. I'm not good at this. There must be other girls you're interested in? Prettier girls. Girls who know what they want."

"Nope," he answered without hesitation. "Only you."

Makoto felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment and hid behind her menu. "Why?" she mumbled.

"Oh, lots of reasons. I could reference your beauty, your intelligence, your wit, the way you laugh, the way you move, or the way you are with the kids at school and how you selflessly protected them from that monster," Ren explained coolly, "but the truth is a little harder to explain."

"The truth?" Makoto whispered, placing her menu down on the table, entranced by the man's words.

"There's a look."

"A look?"

"A look that comes over you, something you probably aren't aware of. I caught a glimpse of it a minute ago. It's a momentary look of sadness that appears on your face. A haunting expression that becomes visible, even behind the smile you wear like a mask."