Chapter Nine || Are You Threatening Us?

Alice's POV

A small groan slips past my lips, slowly waking up from my short nap after falling asleep in Matthew's arms as he carried me through the house. I grunt softly before stretching my limbs until I feel something, or rather someone, grasp my forearm.

"Easy," a masculine voice says, causing my eyes to fly open when I realize that I'm not alone.

I shoot up on the couch that I have been placed on once I see the unfamiliar man, who hovers over me slightly as he sits on the coffee table beside the sofa.

With a start, I yank my arm away before shifting in my spot, planning to hop over the arm of the chair, if I must, to get away. However, that thought is crushed when I notice yet another unfamiliar face looming nearby.

My eyes rake over the newest figure in angst as I notice his large frame; scattered across his exposed skin are tattoos that litter almost all of his body that my eyes can see; the art licks out of his shirt collar onto his neck and dances down his arms where his sleeves are rolled up.

I glance nervously between the two men before my eyes dart around the room, not recognizing where in the heck I am. I feel my anxiety rise slightly while my nerves are on high alert. I ball my uninjured hand tightly, trying to keep it from shaking before tucking my left hand in front of me, protectively against my chest.

"Relax, kid," the second man grunts, raising an inquisitive brow as he studies me. "Your brother called my brother and I earlier to have Tony check your injuries. He had to step out for a moment and should be back shortly."

"Oh," I mumble, easing my tense muscles slightly before shifting my gaze towards the other man.

"I'm Anthony DiNozzo," the doctor, I guess, greets, offering me his hand. "It's nice to meet you, Alice. If you don't mind, I'd like to examine your wrist."

With a nod, I remove my brace, offering him my hand. He takes it in his grasp, ghosting his fingers over the limb before he begins to speak once more.

"I was told about the accident that you were in, and I would also like to examine anywhere else that you were injured. This is just a precaution," he assures, offering a friendly smile, "just to make sure that your other doctor didn't miss anything in his initial exam, although we will have to wait for Matt and Alexander to come before we can begin anything else."

"Why?" I inquired lightly, titling my head a degree inquisitively. When he hums softly, giving me a short, questioning look, I continue. "Why do we have to wait for both of them to arrive?" I question before adding, "I don't really see the point in all of this. I'm fine."

"Firstly, we have to wait for Matthew to come because he said he wanted to be here to make sure that you are indeed alright. Also, Alexander is your guardian, so legally, I have to have his permission as well as yours to continue the examination."

"That's stupid," I grumble under my breath, catching the doctor's attention as he gives me a small glance before looking back at my wrist as he continues to manipulate the limb along with my fingers using a feather-light touch. "I'm old enough to make my own decisions," I glower.

The second man chuckles slightly, suppressing a laugh before saying in a somewhat teasing yet mocking tone, "According to the government, that's not legal." The two men then share a knowing look, almost as if a conversation that I'm not privy to is passed between them. I feel like I missed something.