Chapter Seven || What's this feeling?

Matthew's POV

I'm not entirely sure what came over me when I sent the others off, telling them that I would make sure that Alice was alright.

I was also slightly baffled when her twin brothers left her with me without putting up much of a fight. Perhaps they realized that it wasn't a matter that I was willing to dispute and that I would have just gotten Auston and Harley to take them to the dining room with the rest of the family so that dinner wasn't delayed further.

In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure what I should do for Alice other than the obvious: calling a doctor. Apart from that, I have no clue how exactly I should handle her since the only other woman I deal with on a daily basis is my stepmother, Rebecca.

It's been a long time since I felt this sense of gnawing in my chest. It took me a beat too long to realize that it was a sense of worry over what happened to her.

It took me another beat to slowly question why I cared for the young girl's being since I only remember her as a small child. At the time, my younger self was too trusting and gave love without fear of consequence.

In the end, I paid a harsh price when Victoria took my youngest siblings away.

However, when I saw Alice covered in blood, sitting slumped against the wall in front of Harley, I almost lost it. Hell, I didn't even know what had transpired in the hall before Auston and I arrived, but I had to refrain myself from acting in haste.

The only thing that stopped me from beating the answers out of Harley was that I didn't want to frighten the younger triplets since they weren't familiar with our world. The bastard's lucky that he, too, is family.

If it were anyone else, they'd already be either dead or in the dungeon, filling their cell with the sounds of their screams as they beg and plead for mercy that will never come.

What the prisoners tend not to realize is that most, if not all, of my mafia members, relish in the act of inflicting pain on others. Mafia members typically grow up in this life, knowing that it is a world where you either have to kill or you will be killed in a matter of minutes. I'm sure this is also a detriment that affects our psyche, turning us into a band of psychotic sociopaths who tend to have no regard for human life apart from their own families.

However, for some, even blood isn't enough to save themselves from bloodshed.

Inflicting pain fuels our internal fire, pushing us further into a life of greed, death, and betrayal.

Releasing a sigh, I shake my head of my rampant thoughts before calling a close friend who just so happens to be a damn good doctor.

After the call, I slip the phone into my pocket while watching the last of my brothers turn the corner into the dining hall before facing Alice once more.

"Alice, I called someone to come check you out," I note, catching the small girl's attention. "Is that alright?" I demand, clenching my jaw as I notice a small trickle of blood seeping past her lips.

Hearing a small hum of acknowledgment, I move to crouch before her as she slumps her head against the wall as she watches me with tired eyes.

"What happened to you?" I demand, reaching out to cup her chin.

Although my movements freeze momentarily as I watch Alice flinch away from my touch.