Chapter Six || What Happened to You?

Mason's POV

Leaning my elbow out the window, I huff under my breath while Alice drives through the fields as we follow the guard's Hummer back towards the mansion.

As the front doors come into view, I hear Timothy groan before muttering under his breath, "I don't want to be in this fucking mansion with all these people hovering over me and breathing down my neck."

I release a small sigh as Alice turns off the truck, glancing into the back seat for a moment as Tim and I make eye contact. "I don't either," I mutter before pulling Lolly into my arms while Tim gathers Duke into his arms with a grunt so that we can place them on the ground.

As I begin opening my door, I notice that there are about a dozen guards who are unloading boxes from the U-Haul, presumably taking them to our rooms.

Although, I feel a small twinge of annoyance that we weren't given the option to choose which of the three bedrooms that we wanted instead of being assigned a room, although, I know that most of my annoyance at this thought is that I worry about who my new will reside beside.

Well, in truth, I'm mostly just worried about Alice not being roomed beside one of us or preferably being sandwiched between Tim and me.

"Come on, Ali," I say, grasping my sister's hand once again as I guide her to the trailer. "Let's go see where our bedrooms are," I explain as Tim and I each grab a box while I pass a small bag for Alice to carry.

Taking the bag, she raises a brow at me for a moment before pulling out a large duffle and settling it on her shoulder while she grasps the handle of the smaller one, then walking towards the front steps.

"Who told them that they could go through our stuff, anyway?" Timothy grumbles as we begin ascending a set of stairs while following a few of the guards as they move us into Alexander's house.

"Ryder told me that they would be unloading the trailer while we were settling the horses in the stable, per Alexander's orders," Alice notes, hiking the bag back onto her shoulder as the straps begin to slip.

"Who?" Timothy questions with raised brows. However, I don't miss that he's trying to suppress a smirk.

I watch Alice's expression in amusement with a slight smile on my lips as she releases a sigh before shaking her head in annoyance.

"Eugene," she amends, even though she knows that Tim is screwing with her.

Then again, Tim might have already decided in his head that the guard's name might actually be Eugene and that he changed his name just like the Disney character, or he just wants to try to piss the others off by getting their names wrong.

I'd bet my life on the latter.

——

Alice's POV

"It's fine, Mase," I sigh, slightly tugging at his hand as he continues to argue with some of the guards again.

"It is not fine," he argues, snapping his gaze towards me only to see that I have recoiled slightly at his harsh tone. "I'd prefer if your room was beside one of ours," he explains softly, trying to make me understand his reasoning for arguing with our room arrangements.

"I'll be fine, Mase. I'm literally across the hall from you," I note, gesturing towards his new room that is situated between Corey and Timothy, whereas mine is in between Colby and Bentley.

"Just drop it, Mase," Tim groans, rubbing his stomach with a pout. "We both know that Alice will end up sleeping in one of our rooms again for the time being," he comments in a low tone as he hints about my continued nightmares, making me cringe slightly as some of my dreams flash through my mind.