Miraz's camp

Before I knew it, I was on my way with Edmund, and a few escorts, a centaur and a giant, to Miraz's camp.  Edmund walked into the tent, and I followed, crossing my arms as I enter.  Miraz sent me a glance, but I tried to be on my best behavior.  If this went wrong, everyone could die.

Edmund began to read.

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel and emperor of the Lone Islands," I almost smiled at the overly long title, "in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle.  The fight shall be to the death.  The reward shall be total surrender."  He finished, rolling up the scroll.  There was silence for a few moments.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund-" Miraz started.

"King."  Edmund said, cutting him off.

"Pardon me?"

"It's King Edmund, actually.  Just 'King' though.  Peter's the high King."

I smiled to myself .  'Just king'.  King Edmund the Just.  Ya following me?  Edmund was met with more silence.

"I know.  It's confusing."  Edmund acknowledged.

"Not really."  I muttered.  Miraz looked to Sopespian on his right before facing Edmund again.

"Why would we risk such a proposal when our armies could wipe you out by nightfall?"  He asked.  This caught Edmund off guard, and I noticed.  He was silent for a few seconds, trying to come up with a believable response.  He turned back to Miraz confidently.

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers?"  He asked.  "I mean, only a week ago, Narnians were extinct."  He taunted, eyebrow raised.  He said it in such a way and with such a face that made my stomach flutter.  I couldn't help but notice and appreciate his confident, challenging, and mocking behaviour.

"And so you will be again."  Miraz informed.  I took a small step forward and Edmund slightly reached his hand back, halting me.

"Well then you should have little to no fear."  Edmund said, hastily.  Miraz laughed.

"This is not a question of bravery."  He insisted.  Edmund pointed the scroll at him.

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?"  He asked.  I snorted and turned around, facing the other way in a pitiful attempt to control myself .  I could feel Miraz's glare on the back of my head.

"I didn't say I refused."  He voiced.  I covered my mouth with my hand, knowing he now had no other choice.

"You shall have our support, your majesty.  Whatever your decision."  One of the men sitting at the table said.  Sopespian spoke.

"Sire, our military advantage alone provides the perfect excuse to avoid what might otherwise be-"

Miraz stood abruptly.  "I'm not avoiding anything!"  He insisted, drawing his sword.  I turned around and shared a look with Edmund.  It was working.

"I was merely pointing out that my lord is well in his rights to refuse."  Sopespian defended.

"His majesty would never refuse."  General Glozelle spoke.  "He relishes the chance to show his people the courage of their new king."  He said.  I wondered why everyone was speaking for Miraz, but they were getting under his skin, pushing him further and further to a decision, so i didn't mind.  Edmund looked back at Miraz for confirmation.  Miraz held a sword at him.

"You."  He spoke.  Edmund swallowed.  "You should hope your brother's sword is sharper than his pen."

Edmund nodded and left the tent.  I followed, but not before shooting Miraz a dirty look.  I walked back to the How, with the centaur and giant following.

"I'm sorry."  I spoke.  Edmund turned to me, a confused look on his face.

"What for?"

"I'm sorry I laughed.  That could have ended badly."  I explained.  Edmund smiled and looked down at the ground, before looking ahead again.

"You could have jeopardized the whole mission."  He said.  He sounded serious, but the look on his face told me otherwise.  I smiled as well.

"I couldn't help it!"  I defended.  "His face was priceless!"  I exclaimed.  Edmund looked over to me and grinned.

"It was pretty funny."

"He was all like."  I copied his facial expression of anger and embarrassment.  Edmund laughed at the display.  The centaur and giant behind us shared a look.

We all walked into the How, me and Edmund laughing our butts off.  Caspian and Peter turned to us upon hearing our arrival.  Caspian raised an eyebrow as Peter crossed his arms, an amused smirk playing at his face.

We stopped laughing, and Edmund cleared his throat.  Needless to say, seconds later we both started laughing again.

"What is so funny?!"  Peter asked, smiling.

"'So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age!'"  I quoted between breathes of laughter.  I doubled over in laughter, clutching my stomach.  Caspian started laughing too, but he was laughing at my failure to control my laughter.

I rubbed my hand along my face, wiping away the tears and letting out a few chuckles.

"Ah, that was good." I said.  I chuckled a few more times.

"I'm going to assume the stress has really gotten to you?"  Caspian asked me.  I shrugged, still laughing.

"Judging by this, I'm guessing he agreed to the terms?"  Peter asked, ignoring Caspian's comment.

"Oh, yeah.  That's what we were doing."  I said.  I smiled and started laughing again, causing Edmund to laugh again as well.  He lightly hit me in the arm.

"Stop laughing!"  He said though laughs.

"But you're laughing!"  I protested.

"That's because you are!  Laughing is contagious!"  He defended.  Peter and Caspian looked at each other again.  Seeing this was getting nowhere, Caspian spoke up.

"Well, I'm going to go get the girls ready."  Caspian announced.  "I'm sending Destrier with them."

This caused you to stop laughing immediately.  "They're taking Destrier?"

Caspian nodded.  I frowned.

"He's one of the fastest and most loyal horses."

"Says the one who had the horse run off with him stuck in the stirrup."  I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I have to make sure they're ready."  He said, turning to leave.

"Let me go with you."  I said, jogging to catch up with him.  I followed Caspian through several corridors until seeing Susan and Lucy atop the beautiful black horse.  Caspian immediately started tightening the girth.

"Destrier has always served me well."  He told the girls.  "You are in good hands."

"Or hooves."  Lucy joked.  Caspian looked up at her and smiled.  I stood in front of my favorite horse, petting him on the nose and playing with his forelock.  Caspian placed Susan's foot in the stirrup before looking up at her.

"Good luck."  He offered.

"Thanks."  She said, though she didn't sound pleased.  Caspian looked down, trying to think of something else to say.

"Look.  Maybe it is time you had this back."  He said, holding up the horn.

"Why don't you hold onto it?  You might need to call me again."  She insisted.  Caspian's face softened, and i hid my smile in Destrier's mane.  I patted him before they cantered off.  Me and Caspian watched them leave before walking away to prepare for the death match.

The queen to the just Edmund Pevensie storyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara