The Unorthodox Life of Aaliyah Kaye Marx (10)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I awoke I felt dizzy and disoriented. I dragged in a shaky breath only to realise the excruciating pain in my chest had lessened, my eyes flickered under my eyelids, hopelessly trying to see where I was.

My arms were leaden and trapped at my sides. I groaned and forced my eyes open. Bright white light blinded me and I immediately scrunched them shut again. Opening them slowly, millimetre by millimetre, I gazed at my surroundings - an annoying beeping filling my head.

I was in hospital. That bastard put me in hospital. I tightened my hands, balling them into fists, doing the same with all of my muscles - slowly waking my body up. I sat up slowly after a few minutes, my head spun, my vision blurred and my chest ached painfully. I could feel something pulling my skin, not painfully, it was an odd sensation. I dragged in a deep breath and focused on a white tile on the ceiling, trying to regain composure.

"Ali!" I heard someone scream and I was immediately tackled into a tight hug that made my chest sear in pain.

"Fuck!" I breathed out.

"Oh shit sorry! Are you feeling better?" Jay jumped away from me, glancing down worriedly.

"I'm ready - let's go home. Is Mom back yet?" I asked, ignoring his question and sitting up again, I flung the blanket from my legs and swung them over the edge of the uncomfortable bed. Tha action making my head spin slightly. Everything was stiff, as if I had been out cold for days. Who knows, maybe I had.

"Wow, wow, wow Ali - cool it- you're not going anywhere." Jay said, placing a firm hand on my shoulder and pushing me back down. I tried to resist but my muscles were weak from lack of use.

"Jay - I'm LEAVING and you're not going to stop me. I'm perfectly fine, the bastard got a kick in to my ribs - it's no big deal."

"Ali, you would be DEAD if I hadn't found you when I did. You actually went into cardiac arrest on the way over in the ambulance." He said quietly, his eyes gleaming fiercely.

My eyes widened. "W - what, but he only - he only kicked me, how can I have a heart attack from that?"

"Three of your ribs were broken - one of them punctured your right lung."

I grasped the ugly hospital gown and pulled it up - Jay carefully averted his eyes from my nakedness. There, on my right side - was an ugly purple bruise, spreading about twelve inches across my ribcage. You could see the exact shape of his foot - and in the centre of the bruise there was a cleanly stitched line.

"Fourteen stitches. You've been out for about four days. They had you on a respirator - they didn't think you'd make it, you were too far gone. Ali who did this?"

I clamped my mouth shut.

"Aaliyah." He said in a stern tone. I rolled my eyes.

"I fell down the stairs."

"There is the exact shape of a foot on your ribs and your car has barely any gas in it."

"Fine ..." I huffed. "I went to a fight." I muttered quietly.

"Who did you fight? I can't think of anyone who's better then you?"

"EXACTLY! There is NO ONE better than me! NO ONE - and HE HAD TO COME AND RUIN IT! They know I'm a girl Jay!" I screamed, allowing my anger to get the better of me - I could feel the hot tears burning my eyes, threatening to spill over.

Jay stayed quiet, staring at me impassively. The only thing that betrayed him was his hands which were twisting nervously. He was scared. I suppose I would be too - I NEVER cry. Never.