Chapter 26

The moment Sereph stepped out of the portal with Hope in his arms, Jaden breathed a sigh of relief. My heart slowly can't take it anymore. The torments and burdens that Fate imposed on the two were simply not fair. The two belonged together and yet it tore them apart again and again.

Sereph had pulled himself together for those two weeks, but Jaden had known that the uncertainty was driving him crazy. When Lyric suddenly appeared unannounced in their lobby this morning, they both couldn't believe it. Lyric had immediately told them where they could find Hope.

The rune demon himself had been gone for the past two weeks and had only learned on his return that Hope had disappeared. Thanks to the gods, he had accompanied Nix at that time, because Nix hadn't been allowed to tell them where he was and their contact in the human world was still not found. As if Fate had personally ensured that they couldn't find Hope. When Lyric found out about it, he left immediately. Thanks to him, Sereph had learned where to look and had succeeded, for now he had returned with his heart. Why are they torn apart again and again? Why does Fate want to keep Hope away from Sereph?

Slowly Jaden believed that there must be more to it, because all this couldn't be a coincidence. Hope, what are you?

Sereph walked calmly to his bedchamber, his heart pressed tightly to him. I will never let you go. He would put every conceivable spell and shackle on Hope, so that it would be impossible for him to leave him.

He carefully laid his unconscious companion on the bed and brushed his hair out of his face. "You're so beautiful, Dhan," he whispered, kissing Hope on the forehead. He took off his clothes and froze when he looked at his chest. The scars were completely gone, but that wasn't the shocking thing – his bond mark was gone. No trace of it on his chest. Maybe it's because it's his human body. And yet it unsettled him. With a rag he washed his beloved one and covered him.

The missing bond mark wasn't the only thing that worried Sereph. Hope didn't seem to recognize him in the human world either. Sereph knew that souls lost all memories during their rebirth in order to be able to start anew. Had that also happened to Hope? But he hadn't been born again, it had been different with him. There is no point in pondering. All I can do is wait for him to wake up.

He got rid of his clothes and got into bed with Hope. Then he pulled his human to him and laid his head on his chest. He was finally able to rest because his heart was back where it belonged. For the first time in two weeks, Sereph slept a restful night's sleep.

Hope felt an incredible warmth that enveloped him. An even tone calmed him. He had the feeling of lying in a warm bed of moss in a forest full of pine trees and feeling the pulsation of the earth and the sound of the wind. He had never felt so comfortable, so at home. He snuggled even closer to the warm ground and sighed, because he didn't want to wake up. Slowly, he felt the floor become smoother and change its consistency. In addition to the throbbing, he now heard a regular noise. He frowned.

The wind is not so regular, that sounds more like... a breath?

Then he realized that he wasn't lying in the forest, he was lying on something alive. His head began to work and he analyzed the situation in a few seconds. I'm lying on a person, someone I don't know... right? The scent seemed familiar to him, but somehow he couldn't grasp it. Again a pain shot through his head.

Memories shot into his head. He and Steve in the music room, strange arms wrapping around him, the... kiss. Then pain and darkness. What happened? Where am I and where is Steve?

Sereph noticed that his human was waking up, he recognized it by the choppy breaths and the slightly sour smell. He is afraid. "Hope, calm down. You're safe." With me, your heart. He stroked Hope's back reassuringly.