Chapter 9

After dinner, Jaden took Hope to Sereph's study. There the demon spent his free time reading and thinking. Usually, he didn't want to be disturbed. With his violin case in his hand, the human stood nervously in front of the door, but didn't enter.

"Come in," Sereph's voice sounded and Hope complied.

When he entered the room, he used his click sonar to get a rough overview. The room was very crowded, which sent him a lot of signals. It was late and exhausting. "Could you take me to the seat?" Hope asked, his head bowed. A rustle and footsteps sounded, then he felt a warm hand on his back.

"Of course, Dhan," Sereph said, leading him to a seat where Hope made himself comfortable.

The room wasn't necessarily big, but very homey. Everywhere there were shelves with the pieces from his favorite collection and books, which he picked up again and again. There was an armchair in which he always sat. It was carved from dark wood and covered with a red soft fabric. His backrests were at the right height for Sereph's forearms. Next to it was a sofa in the same style, although it was hardly used, as he preferred to be alone here.

Now there sat his dearest being, who prepared the human instrument. The demon would have liked to sit next to Hope, but he held back and stayed in his chair, content himself with looking at him from there.

"Do you have any wish?" Hope asked him and he shook his head.

"I mean, no," he said quickly.

Hope laughed and asked, "You shook your head, didn't you?"

Sereph scratched his head sheepishly and said yes.

"Alright. Then I'll just play you one of my favorite songs."

A soft scratching sounded, then the bow began to stroke over the strings and a beautiful slow melody sounded. Sereph's soul began to calm and he closed his eyes. Relaxation spread through his body. It was beautiful.

When one of the employees heard the music from outside, he stopped. Then he hurried through the corridors to call his colleagues. Meanwhile, the melody beaded from Hope's fingers like a river that swept everyone away. When the song ended, Sereph was a little sad.

"Next one?" his human asked with a smile.

"Yes, please. Ah. Hope, can you sing too?" He had a soft and pleasant voice, which is why Sereph had wondered if the musical talent was limited to his hands.

Hope looked forward thoughtfully. Then he brought up his violin again. The melody sounded, then he opened his mouth and began to sing, a song that had always given him hope.

Every note hit the mark. Hope sang with so much emotion that Sereph could feel exactly what his human was feeling. No wonder his soul is unsullied. If he hadn't already fallen hopelessly in love with him, now would have been the time. Centuries of burden and pain fell away from Sereph at that moment. All those years of loneliness, finally they were over.

Meanwhile, Jaden walked down the hall, wondering where all his employees were. Surprisingly, he saw them all sitting in front of Sereph's study with their eyes closed. What's going on? But as he approached, he understood. An inner calm returned to him when he heard the voice. Incredible. He paused and lived only in that moment.

After four more songs, Hope took a break and Jaden shooed his grumbling colleagues back to work. That a simple person could simply paralyze an entire household, no one was allowed to know. Relieved and strengthened, he went back to his own work.

"That was really beautiful, Hope. You have the voice of an angel," Sereph said, and Hope blushed again.

There was something that had been burning on Hope's soul for some time. He wanted to know what Sereph looked like. So he asked him the question. "Sereph, may I look at you?"