A nice day before night

Akaza woke up in the morning. His eyes widened as he didn't recognize his surroundings. He got scared Douma might have found him and brought him somewhere he didn't know. Before he could start panicking more, he laid his eyes on the sleeping slayer beside him. He immediately calmed down and observed the slayer. Rengoku, in his sleep, had wrapped an arm around his waist and held him protectively. Rengoku had a peaceful expression and Akaza saw him fully relaxed for the first time. He hesitantly reached to touch his hair, scattered around his head messily. The slayer let out a small groan before opening his eyes. Akaza quickly pulled his hand back and simply stared. Rengoku yawned and sat up.

-"Good morning Akaza." Said Rengoku in a rough voice.
-"M-Morning? It's already morning?!" Asked Akaza, getting panicked.

Rengoku immediately saw the panic in the younger older one and hugged him.

-"I-I was supposed to go back to the fortress..." Akaza said with a worried look.

He knew that if Douma somehow learned he stayed over at someone else's house, he would probably kill him. His fear must've appeared on his face because Rengoku reached to gently hug him.

-"You're safe here Akaza. No one can hurt you." Softly whispered Rengoku to calm the demon down a bit.

Akaza looked at the slayer and slowly calmed down as the slayer showed him a gentle smile. Akaza looked away in embarrassment as Rengoku passed his hand in his short pink hair, attempting to make him relax as much as possible. Akaza would have stayed there forever but he knew very well he had a meeting that night and couldn't skip it. The simple idea of going back was sickening to him. Seeing everyone who kept living their lives calmly while he was being hurt and used every day, seeing his master who didn't seem to care about him and seeing the person that haunted his nights, the one that made his life a living hell.

-"You should rest more..." Rengoku suggested, looking worried about the older one's silence.

Akaza didn't feel sleepy anymore. He was thinking about the upcoming meeting. He didn't want to go. He was scared he'd be hurt again or that his master would think he became useless. Rengoku noticed and cupped the demon's cheek gently, making the demon focus on him. Akaza looked at Rengoku, confused and surprised at the same time. He could see the worry plastered on the slayer's face.

-"Akaza... Please tell me what happened to you."

He stared at the slayer, obviously hesitating. He didn't want to seem weaker than he already looked. The worried look Rengoku had finally helped Akaza decide. He started telling the hashira everything that had happened in half a year with a shaking voice. Rengoku looked mad as hell as he looked at the crying and shaking demon in front of him. Akaza was holding himself as waves of disgust hit him. Rengoku was actually the first person he told about this. He felt dirty and pathetic. Akaza was surprised as he felt arms wrap around him once more and pull him close. He found himself pressed against the slayer's chest. Rengoku was gently brushing the demon's hair.

-"Don't go back there." Whispered Rengoku. "Stay here with me."

For a split second, Akaza was tempted to say yes but he knew his maser could simply kill him if he did so he reluctantly shook his head instead.

-"I can't..." He said in a desperate whisper.

Rengoku looked deceived but nodded.

-"At least come live with me. You'll be away from him."

This time, Akaza accepted before he could even consider it. The simple idea of being able to live somewhere away from Douma was enough to convince him. Rengoku slowly let go of him and got out of bed before putting his hand out for Akaza.

-"You should take a shower. I'll then treat your wounds." Rengoku said as he smiled.

Akaza couldn't help but be touched by the slayer's care, a light blush tainting his ghostly pale stripped skin. He took Rengoku's hand and followed him to the bathroom.

-"I'll also lend you some clothes." Said Rengoku while starting the shower for him.

Akaza nodded and took his shirt off in front of the slayer. He used to walk around shirtless so he had nothing to be embarrassed about. Plus, the slayer had an idea of how messed up his body looked. Rengoku's eyes still widened as there was a lot more hickeys, bite marks and bruises all over the demon's body then he had expected. Rengoku's blood started to boil from anger. How could someone do that? Especially to someone they knew for that long. He found it horrible. He slowly walked out to give the pink haired boy some privacy and get him some clothes. During that time, Akaza carefully washed himself. He wanted to simply rip his skin off wherever Douma had touched him but he hadn't eaten a human in so long that he knew it would take a while to heal. He let out a soft sigh as he let the water run down his face. He then grabbed a towel that he wrapped around his waist and waited for the slayer to come back with actual clothes. In didn't take long before he heard a knock on the door. He opened it and the flame hashira handed him some clothes. He then walked in and grabbed the first aid kit, motioning for Akaza to sit down which the demon did. Rengoku gave him a reassuring smile before starting to clean and bandage all his wounds. He looked often at Akaza, wanting to make sure he wasn't hurting him or anything. Akaza stayed quiet as he watched the slayer's hand working around his body. Then Rengoku put the stuff away.

-"There. Now dress up." He said as he smiled.

Akaza nodded quietly and watched Rengoku leave again. He grabbed the clothes and put them on. Rengoku had chosen a simple black turtle neck and some of his uniform pants. He had chosen this as it would cover most of the demon's skin. Akaza smiled lightly at how much thoughts the slayer put into choosing this. He walked out of the bathroom only to meet a younger version of Rengoku. Both their eyes widened as both were surprised by the other. The kid opened his mouth to scream but Akaza quickly put a hand on his mouth. He saw the kid getting scared and quickly crouched down to be his height.

-"Please don't scream little version of Kyojuro..." He said softly.

The kid seemed to be thinking. Akaza was being gently with him. Even his father wasn't that careful when shutting him up.

-"I'll remove my hand now. Don't scream ok?" Akaza whispered.

The kid slowly nodded and Akaza did as he said, slowly removing his hand.

-"W-who are you and w-why are you here?" The little Rengoku asked, still looking scared.

-"Kyojuro is hiding me here." He said softly, hoping the slayer's name would calm the kid down. "He's helping me."

The kid looked surprised. Akaza always loved kids but since he was a demon, most were looking at him with scared eyes. That one, the little Rengoku, once calmed down seemed fine. At that moment, Kyojuro walked up to them.

-"Ah! There you are Akaza!" He said before glancing at his brother. "Oh... hello Senjuro."
-"Brother!" Senjuro ran up to Kyojuro and hugged him as Akaza got up slowly.

Kyojuro quickly explained Akaza's situation, without going into too much details, and Senjuro nodded before running off to his own room. Both older males headed back to Kyojuro's room. They spent the day there, talking. Senjuro even joined them at some point. He was now sitting on Akaza's laps, dozing off. Akaza kept a close eye on Senjuro so he wouldn't fall off him and hurt himself. Once he fell deep asleep, Akaza picked him up and went to put him to bed, a soft smile on his lips. He then noticed night had fallen. He went back to Kyojuro.

-"I will probably get teleported soon. I'll come back whenever I can." He said as he bowed down lightly.

Rengoku was worried, it was obvious but he knew he couldn't convince him to stay.

-"Ok. Take care."

Akaza nodded and then they both heard the sound of a Biwa.