16: Amnesia?

Percy POV

Building the bookshelf was actually much simpler than it had seemed. Mr. Chase and I had it together in about twenty minutes, and it was done before Annabeth even came out of the bathroom.

"Well, test it out," Frederick told me.

I picked up a few of the books that we were on the base of Annabeth's hospital bed. I picked ups stack of books and placed them on the top shelf.

"All set." I said happily.

Frederick and I were moving it to the side of the room, next to the windows. We had almost made it when a crash sounded from the bathroom.

"Annabeth!" We both shouted at the same time.

We let go of the shelf and it thudded on the floor. Fortunately, it still landed in standing position not that we cared. We ran to the bathroom instead.

I beat Frederick there and practically ripped the door off it's frame trying to open it. My eyes raked the room, not prepared for what I saw. Panic rose in my throat as I looked at Annabeth.

She was laying on the floor, her leg bent at an odd angle, with blood coming out of her head.

I just sat down on the ground, and pulled her into my lap, completely in a daze. I faintly registered Frederick Chase screaming that he would go get help, but I wasn't really listening. I just held Annabeth feeling the faint pulse in her wrist. I stared into her beautiful face and felt her blood pooling on my pants.

Please be okay. Please be okay.

Wise Girl, please.

Everything happened quickly after that.

Dr. Apollo rushed into the bathroom with a few nurses in tow. Nurse Hestia gently pulled me out of the room so that the team could work on Annabeth.

I was sitting in the uncomfortable, plastic chairs in the clinic's waiting room, still trying to process what had happened. After Frederick and I found Annabeth, the healthcare staff had arrived and they shoved him out the door without another glance. I insisted them to let me stay by her side, but they refused.

So here i was sitting, ripping my hair out.

Mr. Chase was just as worried sitting on my right.

Neither of them said anything. They didn't need too. Or they couldn't. It didn't matter, no words were passed between us. It had been two hours since they'd been directed to the waiting room. Two agonizing hours of nothing.

Finally, Dr. Apollo came up to them, a clipboard in hand.

"Hi, Percy and Frederick?" Apollo acknowledged.

We jumped to our feet. "YES?" we both answered anxiously at the same time.

"Well, Annabeth had quite a fall. The treatment must've made her light-headed, not to mention that she was dehydrated on top of that..."

"Annabeth seemed to have slammed her head on the corner of the sink, after she slipped. She managed to scrape by with no brain damage, thankfully. Though she does have a concussion," Dr. Apollo finished.

"Well, that's not too bad," Frederick said hesitantly.

Dr. Apollo paused.

I sucked in a breath, waiting for news that I possibly didn't want. This couldn't be happening.

"There's one more thing," he said, looking grim. "Annabeth, though she didn't get any brain damage, there still may be other side effects."

"What? What 'side effects'?" I asked, getting irritated.