10: Getting Worse

Percy POV

My first thought after what happened to Annabeth was to keep her close to me. I couldn't imagine all the thoughts going through her head, but she needed someone to be vulnerable with.

All week, I saw her looking over her shoulder. I'd see her tense or stiffen when something would startle her (something that normally wouldn't).

Not a lot of people knew about what happened.

It was just my family, Annabeth's family, Thalia (obviously), Jason, and Piper.

We helped Annabeth through it. Because of how strong she is, every day she made a little progress.

Friday rolled around quickly.

"I can't believe that this movie features an ice castle," Annabeth complained in her annoyed tone. "The physics and design of it are just not possible. Also, frozen chandelier is impossible. Nothing can hang on a thin piece of string-like material."

Thalia and I chuckled as Annabeth continued to ramble about the flaws in Disney's Frozen. She was sounding more like her normal self. Thalia, Annabeth, and I were having a movie marathon in my house. Paul and my mom were on a date night.

My eyes started to drift though.

I had swim practice before and after school today like usual, which left me so tired on Fridays.

Eventually, I fell asleep, still listening to Annabeth rambling about architectural flaws in Disney and animated movies.

WHOOSH.

I woke up startled to a loud collision sound, and looked over to see Annabeth on the floor about 5 feet away from the bathroom. Panic rose in my throat. I jumped off the couch and ran over to her, repeatedly calling her name, but getting no answer.

She was unconscious.

Thalia wasted no time, running towards Annabeth and shouting at me to call 911. My hands were shaking as I continue to hold Annabeth and call her name. Thalia had to drag me away from her so that I could call the police. Meanwhile, Thalia made sure Annabeth was breathing and stuff.

I tried my best to maintain composure as I talked to the police.

The ambulance arrived and the paramedics carried Annabeth away.

Since Thalia and I weren't direct family, we couldn't ride in the ambulance. My hands and legs were shaking too much to drive, so Thalia took control. I could barely breathe; I was so worried.

We went to Dr. Apollo's clinic.

"Percy, before you go into her room, you need to calm down. You're gonna freak her out," Thalia said firmly. Her voice steadied me.

"Okay, I'm okay," I repeated.

Thalia and I walked into Annabeth's hospital room. She had an IV in her arm; besides that, she was fine. Annabeth so peaceful while sleeping.

Dr. Apollo and Nurse Hestia were talking to Athena, who arrived a few moments earlier.

"Feinting is definitely concerning," Hestia said, trying to sound supportive.

It didn't work.

My breath caught in my throat, and I temporarily forgot how to breathe.

Annabeth eventually woke up, but not until Apollo told Thalia to help Annabeth drink some apple juice. I volunteered immediately to do it instead of Thalia, but Dr. Apollo refused to allow that, saying that I wasn't stable enough to help.

I wanted to scream at him that there was nobody better to help Annabeth.

"Percy-"

Annabeth whispered softly while continuing to let Thalia feed her some food.