𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈 - 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄

MIKAZUKI NODDED, ABANDONING HER CHAIR ONCE AGAIN AS SHE CIRCLED HER FRIEND BEFORE SIFTING THROUGH THE RACKS. The options were getting narrower with each try, but the sorceress wasn't about to let Shoko downs. Besides, even though the whole process was a tad bit boring, they were both having fun. Although, maybe that was the alcohol currently coursing through their veins, who knows? Mikazuki paused, pulling out a new gown and handing it back to Shoko with a satisfied smile.

"Try this one" she commanded.

Shoko rolled her eyes but did as she was told, slowly shuffling into the dress. This one was prettier than the other ones, with a mesh-like fabric at the top with a lace design that spread all the way to the tulle skirt.

The woman swirled around, a small smile playing on her lips as she watched her reflection. The gown didn't match what she wanted, but it was still pretty enough to keep her attention for more than five minutes.

"By the way, how's your week going? I haven't seen you much around the school" Shoko commented casually as she strolled across the room, inspecting the shelves that held the rhinestone tiaras and the shelves where the veils were stocked.

The sorceress shrugged, she too dancing around the shop as she pulled out one of the crowns. The piece was beautiful, with small shiny stones melted into the metal with a large diamond that dangled from the front.

It was the kind of overdetailed stuff her clan loved, the golden metal coiled around the stone just as ostentatious as the one from the pieces waiting for her at home. Mikazuki frowned, putting the crown back and turning to stare at her friend.

"I've been busy with clan business and catching up on assignment logs" she explained while Shoko tried on one of the veils. Mikazuki huffed, walking around the room "I'm still recovering from our last mission so I'm on administrative leave, but I'll be back to work on Monday" her expression fell slightly "Then there was the funeral yesterday, it wasn't a particularly encouraging mood to get to work"

Shoko nodded absentmindedly.

"Yeah, I heard"

How could she have not? The entire Jujutsu Society was on high alert after the latest tragedies, Moriko's death was just the most recent one. It was sad; the way everyone she knew was either dead or dying, but at least she had her friend back. Shoko lowered the veil back onto the shelf, her expression falling at the thought. First Suguru, then Keisuke and now – anyone could be next.

She could be next.

"I feel sorry for her, you know?" Shoko confessed, turning to look Mikazuki in the eye, brown orbs colliding with her sunset ones "Moriko was one of the good ones"

She really was, and she deserved better than simply disappearing into the next life, almost as if she was never part of this one. It didn't seem fair, yet Ieiri wasn't naïve enough to think she could change any of it. And if anyone could, it would be either Kinzoku Mikazuki with the power of her golden bloodline, or Gojo Satoru with the force of his clan. Either way, it would never be up to her.

Shoko shook her head, quickly clearing her thoughts.

"Satoru was also there, right? Did you two talk it out?" she commented casually, ignoring the way Mikazuki's shoulders tensed the moment Gojo's name left her lips.

The sorceress pressed her lips into a fine line, a sick feeling settling in her gut when she heard it. Although she and Shoko were good friends, Mikazuki had no intention to drag her into this whole mess, especially when she'd already lived through so much during her absence. The woman sighed, hands pushed behind her back hoping the doctor wouldn't see the way her fingers twitched nervously.

"Kind of" Mikazuki answered vaguely, hoping the lack of details would deter her friend "But it wasn't the right place or time. Besides, we'll have plenty of time to talk about it" her golden gaze settled on Shoko's latest dress, the one she was still wearing "Nope, this one isn't doing it for me"

The doctor sighed.

"I figured"

Shoko slid out of the gown, exiling it along with the other ones. Once she was undressed, the sorceress strides towards her best friend, taking another one of the dresses she'd hung by the door. Shoko stood in front of it, taking a good look at the new dress as she tapped her chin deep in thought.

"This is what I'm talking about" Shoko announced, no hint of doubt in her tone as she pulled out the dress to show it to Mikazuki "Look, it's perfect"

This was the dress of her dreams – the one she'd imagined herself with walking down the aisle, her arm intertwined with that of her best friend. This was it. Mikazuki stood next to the dress, leaning forward as she inspected it.

The sorceress flipped the tag, taking in the Vera Wang scribbled in neat handwriting before glancing back at the dress. There was nothing remarkable about it, and compared to the other ones, it could even be considered to be lacking. But there was something about it that simply screamed Ieiri Shoko.

"Try it on, let's see how it fits" Mikazuki encouraged, pulling the tag from the dress and pushing it deep into her pockets.

She could pay for it later, when Shoko wasn't paying attention. The doctor walked over to the dress, unzipping the other one and quickly dumping it into the reject pile before stepping into the new one. It fit her like a glove, the long sleeves elongating her arms while the plunging neckline enhanced her chest while also being modest enough Anna's mother wouldn't be outraged. It was so remarkably Shoko, Mikazuki couldn't quite believe it.

Shoko jumped onto the platform, gaze immediately landing in the full-sized mirror. She turned, checking every angle, every single detail of the dress – not that any imperfection would make her change her mind. No, Shoko had already made her choice, in fact, she made it the moment her eyes fell on the dress. She was bewildered, amazed at the way it fit, the way it snugly accentuated every curve.

"This is the one"