Chapter 16

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

"You know I still can get over the fact that who brings scissors to murder someone?" Athena asks as she and Danny walk towards the interrogation room at the station. After identifying the fingerprint on the scissors to some bartender Flack and Danny brought him in a few minutes ago. "I mean a knife, a gun, even poison would make more sense."

"You're suggesting it wasn't premeditated?"

"Scissors are like an item that you would grab in the heat of the moment that could be on a desk in the office."

"But the compromised surveillance and the alarm system would indicate that this was definitely planned and the disabling of the pass codes of the elevator just prior to the murder? Can't do something like that on the fly."

"Maybe murder wasn't part of the plan." Athena said as she pushed open the door, seeing the guy sitting by the table and Flack standing in the corner of the room, knowing this guy hit Flack when he tackled him to the ground, Athena shook her head before taking a seat across from their suspect.

"You know assaulting an officer is a crime, right?" she asked as he looked towards her. "Now I have to admit, this is pretty special for us. You're quite the infamous man. You don't lift anything worth less than 50 grand."

"I imagine you wouldn't break into a building with a crime lab in it, unless it was for something with that price tag, so what'd you steal?" Danny asks as the guy looks anywhere but at them.

"Look, aside from your recent venture into murder, we've been looking for you for a really long time. So let me give you a friendly piece of advice, and this is not something I usually do, right?" Flack said, looking towards Danny.

"Never." Danny said, shaking his head as the guy looked from Danny, to Flack and then towards Athena.

"You can continue with your story. But it's only gonna come back to bite you in the ass when you need to make a deal." Flack said before moving to stand behind Athena again.

"He's not kidding." Danny said, shaking his head, standing right next to the guy.

"I've made a living in some unconventional, possibly illegal ways, but I didn't kill that girl." he said looking towards Danny.

"But you admit to attacking Theodore Westwick." Athena asked as he looked towards her shaking his head.

"I'm telling you he attacked me!" he said as she frowned.

"Why would he do that?" she asked again.

"Because I saw him kill her." he said as Athena looked towards Danny shocked. "Look, I broke into the place. I saw him. We struggled. I ran, he followed. He stabbed me in the back."

"Stabbed you in the back?" Danny asked.

"Yeah." he said lowering his shirt as Danny moved his shirt away and there it was, it was covered in a bandage but it proves his story. "He chased me right out of the building. The struggle on the street-- I took the scissors from him to defend myself. I cut him, and then I got the hell out of there."

"And you never thought to go to the police?" Athena asked as he shook his head. "I'm a thief. My word against his? Plus a money guy like Westwick-- he can make a guy like me disappear without a trace." he said and honestly Athena believed him, she knew there was something about Westwick that didn't sit right with her and now here it was. He murdered Sarah. Athena stood up walking out of the room and into the other room where Jo and Mac stood watching them from behind the one-way glass window.

"His story explains a lot. The plan to burglarize the office? Premeditated. That's why the security system was down. Scissors as a murder weapon, grabbed in a moment of rage. This murder was a crime of passion. Two separate crimes." Jo said as Mac looked towards Athena giving her a knowing smile.