Chapter 20

There are certain mortal moments and minutes that matter. Certain high points in the history of each human, Some seconds are so decisive they shrink the soul, while others are spent, so as to stretch the soul.

"Are you sure you are going to be fine, I could stay one more week." Athena pleaded with Gil at the airport. It has been two weeks since he has been released from the hospital but he still has some way to go before he is completely healed. Athena took some time off work and for some odd reason Mac didn't question it, saying she could stay as long as possible. But Gil had other plans.

"No, you are going back to New York. You have a life and a job to get back to. I will be fine here."

"But who will look after you?"

"Sara is more than capable of doing just that."

"Are you trying to get rid of me?"

"No, I just don't want you to baby me."

"I'm not babying you." she said as he gave her a pointed look. "Okay maybe I am."

"You are. So I think it's a good time for you to head back. You have work to get back to and I'm sure Mac misses you a lot."

"Probably." she mumbled as Gil placed his hands on either side of her face.

"Now you listen to me, I want you to go and tell Mac how you really feel as soon as you land. Go to him and confess your love."

"I already did that, remember."

"Over the phone doesn't count. You have to be face to face." he said before placing a kiss on her forehead, just as he used to do when she was little. "I didn't raise a quitter. You get on that plane and fly back to your home and to the people you love and make sure to tell them that because life is too short."

"Thank you, dad." she said with a smile as he also smiled before wrapping her in a hug.

"Now off you go. Let me know when you landed safely."

"I will." she said before waving goodbye on last time taking out her phone and sending a message to Mac.

I'm coming home. See you soon.

↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣↣

Mac sat in his office, a file laying on the desk in front of him, while he stared off. He took a deep breath when a notification ding on his phone. He took out his phone from his jacket reading the text from Athena and his whole body went stiff.

"Adam!" he yelled out and a few minutes later Adam came rushing into his office.

"Boss?"
"Track Athena's phone, now!" he said standing up, closing the folder on his desk as Adam looked confused. "She's coming back."

"Oh!" Adam said before his eyes went huge. "That's bad."

"I know! I need you to track her phone, her flight schedule and let the security guard know that they need to find her and keep her somewhere safe until I arrive."

"Yes boss." Adam said, rushing out of Mac's office, while he walked towards the elevator bumping into Jo on the way.

"What's the hurry?" she asked as he stepped into the elevator.

"Athena, she's coming home." he said as Jo's smile dropped, getting on the elevator with him.

"You didn't tell her, did you?" Jo asked as the two of them now sat in his truck, racing to the airport. Mac had the lights on and the sirens, driving as fast as he could between the cars.