Chapter 2

Betrayal answers betrayal, the mask of is answered by the disappearance of love.

As Friday drew near Athena already had her bags packed and ready for their flight early Saturday morning. She was bursting with excitement the entire time she packed her bags even when she looked at herself in the mirror, making herself ready for Nicky's birthday party. She's wearing a short apricot sequin dress with ¾ sleeves and a pair of nude heels, Her Cooper brown hair hang in loose curls down her back and her green eyes popped with the eyeliner and the light peach eyeshadow, She made her way to the bar where the party was being held with Nicky's painting in her hands, she finished it yesterday afternoon around the time Greg showed up at the studio for their annual coffee date. She made him sign an agreement just to keep him quiet without spilling to Nicky until tonight. She walked past the window of the bar seeing almost everyone already inside, with drinks in their hands and laughing. It made her heart swell for the people she has come to know as family. She saw Nicky standing by the bar, a beer in his hands as he laughed at something Greg said. She smiled knowing what this weekend would be like. After this weekend she will be an engaged woman, can you believe it? Athena Riverdale engaged to Nick Stokes, one day becoming Mrs. Stokes? It felt unreal.

"It's nice to see him surrounded by so many people who love him." a voice spoke behind Athena as she turned around. A young woman stood behind her, a small gift bag in her hand as she gave Athena a small smile. She's wearing a black dress that reaches just above her knees with black heels, her medium brown hair handing straight as her brown eyes look over Athena. Athena frowned, not recognizing the woman in front of her.

"Yeah, everyone in there loves him like family. Present audience speaking as well."

"You work with Nick?"

"Yes, I'm the sketch artist for the crime lab."

"Athena, right?"

"Yes, and you are?"

"Sharlize Evans." she said with a smile on her face as Athena nodded her head. "Nick talks a lot about you."

"And you know Nick how?" Athena asks as Sharlize smiles looking towards the window.

"I'm Nick's girlfriend from LA. I came out here to surprise him for his birthday." she said as a cold chill ran down Athena's entire body. Everything seems to go in slow motion as she reconcentrate her words very carefully.

"You're his..." Athena trailed off swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat. "Girlfriend?"

"Yeah, we haven't made anything official since it was just one magical night, but I know we were made for each other." She had a hopeful smile on her face. It took all of Athena's willpower to turn her back on Sharlize and turn her attention back to the bar window where she could still see everyone laughing. Greg caught her eye, giving her a smile and a wave to come on in. She shakes her head slightly at him as he frowned before slapping Nick on the back and walking out the bar making his way towards Athena.

"Well, I should probably get in there." Sharlize said but Athena could care less what this woman has to say. Sharlize walked past Greg and into the bar. Greg finally came to a stop next to Athena who was staring at the window waiting for Nicky's reaction to the woman just showing up.

"Hey everything okay?" Greg asks but Athena ignores him looking at Nicky who finally sees Sharlize standing not a few feet away from him. He frowned looking towards the others before making his way over to her. Athena couldn't hear the words that were spoken between them, but Nicky didn't look happy to see her and she only looked confused. He finally turned to look at his colleague, but his gaze caught Athena's as his eyes grew wide. And then she knew right then and there. Sharlize wasn't lying. Nicky cheated on her when he was in LA! She felt the tears start to roll down her cheeks, but she quickly wiped them away and turned towards Greg pushing the painting into his hands.