Chapter 3

And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.

It has been a couple of months now since Athena moved to New York for a fresh start. She found the perfect place for her studio and also an apartment not too far from the studio which means she could walk. Her apartment wasn't luxurious, just a normal two bedroom, two bathrooms, a kitchen small enough for one, a living room and a small balcony just next to the fire escape. The previous owner had potted plants growing there and Athena made it her mission to do the same. She already loves plants, so it was not a big issue. She already made plans to put a few planters out there. Everything was already unpacked in her apartment and most of the stuff in her studio was also finished. She even hung the last painting she did before the move at the front door. The studio wasn't as big as the one in Vegas, yet this one didn't include the apartment like the one in Vegas, but Athena found this one more to her size.

It's an early Monday morning as Athena made her way out of her apartment grabbing her mail on the way. She didn't grab coffee this morning hoping when she gets to work, Merinda would have her Latte ready for pickup considering her studio sits right above the coffee shop. She makes her way to the studio, hoping to finish yet another order. A couple wanted her to paint their daughter along with a family portrait. Ever since she found out she's good with portraits and not just landscapes she's been busier than usual. Guess New York has more interest in her painting than Vegas. She even found her love for sculpting since a couple a few weeks ago asked her to mold their hands with their wedding bands and it came out perfectly. The building came into view as she walked through the front door of the coffee shop, she greeted two of the waiters, Amanda and Ryan before spotting Merinda behind the counter giving her a knowing smile, already holding her latte in her hands.

"You are my lifesaver." Athena said as Merinda nodded her head.

"I know, you would probably be lost without me." she said as Athena chuckled. "I'll tell Lily to put it on your tab."

"Yes please." she said and made her way towards the stairs that lead to the top floor, where her studio sat. It was only a one story building so there was no need for an elevator. Athena took out her keys as her studio glass door came into view. The name Blue Moon written in curved letters and her name right under it. Athena finally unlocked the door, stepping inside and dumping her bag behind the counter. She headed for her easel, her latte in her hand, as she placed the mug on the counter next to her pallet. She started to add a little water to her paint since it was a bit dry after standing overnight. She opened one ceiling to floor windows that surround her entire studio giving that amazing view of the city and natural lighting. She pulled her chair closer and looked at the picture of the family clipped at the top; she already finished the painting of the daughter as it sat in the corner with a rag thrown over it. She immediately got to work after putting music on from her phone as the soft music fills the air around her. She looked a few times at the photo, but her brush was moving effortlessly across the canvas. This was life, the thing she couldn't live without. Painting was like the breath giving to her every time she picks up her brush. Her eyes caught the white lilies that sat on the counter and a smile tugged on her face, knowing the painting of those lilies was in her living room at the apartment. A knock came from her open door as she looked up, seeing a familiar face standing in the doorway, a mop in his hands. She smiled before pausing the music on her phone.

"Hi Brent." she said, looking back towards him. Brent Williams is the cleaner of the coffee shop and also now the cleaner of her studio. His dark blond hair was swept back with gel and his blue eyes had a redness to it. He wore blue overalls and black safety boots. He usually comes by to clean when Athena is here since she locks the place up when she leaves and the only one who has the key is Athena. Lily the owner of the building gave the keys to Athena when she first rented the place to her telling her the top floor is all hers to do as she pleases. Athena even has a tab at the coffee shop, she pays rent each month along with her tab. They send up her latte every three hours and when lunch comes, they send up a muffin or if Athena's lucky enough a piece of carrot cake. Brent gave Athena a smile not coming into the studio at first, his gaze wandering across the room.