Chapter 1

The beginning of it starts at the end

Soft music plays thru the studio, the calming melody of piano music, the smell of freshly cut flowers on the windowsill, the warm breeze carrying through the open windows that reach across the entire studio giving the natural lighting. Paintings leaning against each other in the corner along with a couple of unfinished pieces and a few plain canvases. And a figure sitting by the window with her easel in front of her, a brush in her hand as she makes light strikes across the canvas, the pallet with colors next to her as she dips the brush ever so lightly in a color before resuming with her artwork. A knock came from the doorway as she turned around seeing her Godfather standing there smiling at her with pride. She returns the smile before turning back to her work while he walks closer towards her admiring her artwork.

"Another landscape?" he asked as she nodded her head leaning back in her seat looking at the piece in front of her. The Red Rock Canyon was still in progress, but she was almost done with the painting, just a few touches to the palm trees and the clouds then the piece will be finished before his big birthday coming up this weekend. "I'm guessing it's for Nicky's birthday?"

"Yeah, I wanted to get him something a little bit different this year." She said as he placed his hand on her shoulder. She leans into the warmth of the only father she's ever known.

"I'm sure he will love it. Are you giving it to him before he leaves?" he asked as she frowned, turning in her seat to look at him.

"Leaves?" she asked, confused as he frowned in return.

"Didn't he tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Nicky is leaving for an assignment in LA. He's leaving Friday after the party."

"No, he didn't tell me. I thought that assignment finished three months ago?"

"It did but the trial is next week, and he needs to be there to testify." he said as she nodded her head turning towards the painting again. "I'm sure he would have told you before then."

"Yeah." she trailed off as a few minutes of silence filled the air before his phone started to ring. He took his phone out answering after glancing at the screen.

"Grissom."

"Hey Grissom, we have another victim. Only problem is that she's badly decomposed. You might want to pick Athena up for this one." Nicky's voice carries through the phone as Grissom looks towards the back of Athena's head.

"Yeah, I'll bring her along."

"Great, see you soon." With that he ended the call placing his phone back in his pocket. Athena still lost in her painting without even blinking once. The thought of why Nicky didn't tell her about the assignment brought haunting doubt to the surface. Is it happening again? Is Nicky cheating on her with someone from LA? Why hide it if you have nothing to hide?

"Athena?" Gil said, snapping her out of her thoughts as she turned towards him with a fake smile.

"Yeah?"

"We've got another decomposed victim. Are you up for it?" he asked as she smiled and nodded her head.

"Anytime." she said before getting up from her chair. "Just give me a moment to gather my stuff. I'll meet you outside." he nodded his head as she rushed to gather her things. He stares at her for a moment seeing her mother clear as day in her, how he missed his two best friends. Sure, it was wonderful to raise Athena as his own daughter, but he sometimes wondered what it would have been like if her parents were still alive? If her little sister would have lived? Maybe they would have raised her better, maybe she would have more faith in herself? He heads out of the studio as Athena gather her equipment, staring at the painting one last time before she locks up her studio and meets Grissom out by his car.