22. Paradise

Ramadan Kareem!

I'm very aware it's that time of year where some of you may be fasting and therefore I've put a lil 🌶️ at the start of the slightly spicy portion of this chapter. If you don't want to read it will make absolutely no difference to your understanding of the story...I hope you enjoy x

"This place can't be real." I find myself saying as I peer out the window to the balcony of our apartment. The whole thing is made of white stone and looks out onto the most crystal-like water I've ever seen. It's like something from a dream, or a postcard, or travel magazine. Amazing!

I just have the same expression I've had on my face all day.

From the moment Charles woke me with quiet accented calls of my name and kisses much to my many protests and groans. There was a sharp pang in the front of my head that has seemed to hang in my head until touch down almost an hour ago. I had groaned until Charles pushed two paracetamol into my mouth and forced me to drink two glasses of ice water before pushing me into the shower.

I found myself turning slowly under the water, groggy with sleep, as I splattered shower gel and lotions to my body. This is before stumbling through the motions of getting dressed, pulling the linen shorts over my legs with the oversized shirt that came with them hung loose over my shoulders. With the promise of food at the airport Charles ushered the two of us out of the apartment as I clutched at my phone and passport knowing that anything else left behind could be easily replaced. He took control, pushing our suitcases out of the building and towards the sleek black car waiting for us.

'I'm too hungover for this, why did you give me that much champagne?!' I had grumbled in the lift down to the car making Charles laugh. He'd rightfully pointed out that just because the champagne was there I didn't have to drink any of it.

We didn't speak until our arrival at Heathrow with that fact pointed out to me.

Airports have never been my favourite place, they've always been a necessary evil, a means to get where I'm going. Minutes always seem like hours in them - especially when flights are delayed. However, airports with Charles may be my new favourite place. From the moment we climbed from the car individuals in smart dress fawned over the two of us, offering service after service and whisking our suitcases away before I even had to give them a second thought. We were guided to a private room by a flush cheeked woman who couldn't help but sneak glance after glance at Charles (and who could blame her). Despite the alcohol of last night he seemed completely fine compared to me as his hand stayed laced with mine, holding me softly all the way to the VIP lounge which had my lips parting a little. When we arrived there was McDonald's waiting for us, a McPlant ready to go in its box because Charles 'remembered' me mentioning it was my go-to hangover meal. I just thanked him quietly, resisting the urge to throw my hands around his neck and kiss him softly because of the eyes on us.

I ate my burger and drank my body weight in orange juice until a man in a suit jacket announced to Charles that 'they're ready for you Mr Leclerck' in a way which had me stifling a laugh - I've never heard his name pronounced in such a way.

The laugh was quickly muted when we were led to a shining silver private jet. Whilst Charles had obviously mentioned flying private to me a number of times it never occurred to me that we would be flying private to Mykonos, hence my shock when we boarded the plane and it was only the two of us onboard. Charles only smirked at my surprise all the way through the flight as I napped, drank even more fruit juice and listened to music through my headphones.