21. Commitment Issues

"I didn't know we were supposed to get a present." Charles mumbles into my ear as I place down the gift bag I'd carefully cradled the whole way here in the back of the fancy car Charles had rented for the night. The sleek vehicle was extravagant, too much and entirely glamorous in a way which had Maddie squeaking in excitement saying 'I knew you were a Prince!'. I think Charles was just relieved she didn't call him French for once. The gift table is already crowded with gifts, most of them seeming to be bottles of champagne and gin.

"You weren't." I answer, my hand curling back onto his forearm trying not to let nerves bite at me. We're attending this event together, I hope it's the first of many. "I got this one, you're my date." I explain in a 'duh' tone that makes my shoulders tense a little. Noticing the tension Charles just squeezes at my waist, grinning at me softly as I soften into him. All the tension rolls from me with a simple touch from Charles.

As we wander further into the party Charles just occupy's himself with the aqua material of my dress. He's barely been able to keep his hands off of me since wandering back into my bedroom, hair still damp from the shower as I was struggling with the back zip. His cheeks had turned pink as he dragged the zip up my back, fingertips purposefully brushing my spine as he did so. It had me hot in all the right places, especially when his lips pressed a kiss to my neck which had my thighs clenching.

"I should have brought something." Charles just mumbles almost awkwardly as I just roll my eyes and shake my head. I grab a flute of champagne from the tray when offered and Charles follows. I find myself watching him between assessing the room and all of the people in it.

"You can take me to Mykonos?" I ask, knowing that Charles won't relax until he feels he has 'repaid' his debt. He mumbles a small 'oui', shoulders unwinding with the suggestion. I'm about to ask Charles if he finished packing his things for our flight early tomorrow when two firm hands land square on my shoulders.

A squeak of surprise leaves me, Charles's eyes widening in time with mine as he shifts in his spot, arm moving forward in defence of me as I press a hand to my chest. "Surprise!" Luke calls in my ear, spinning me around and pulling me into his arms before I can even take another breath. I feel as though I'm about to have a heart attack. Immediately with the realisation that it's Luke I soften (even if it's only a little, the shock still leaving my mind wound tight), brightening at my cousin who's the reason we're here. Charles relaxes at my side with my response, his body softening in line with my own, arm dropping from my perimeter, stern expression loosening into one of only slight alarm.

"Not much of a surprise, it's your engagemen-"

"Holy shit!" Luke just interrupts me, his words a little dazed as we part ways. I say part- Luke's arms just slacken around me allowing me to rock back to Charles. Luke's jaw is slack, eyes wide, looking to the man at my side who's arm instinctively reaches for me, holding my waist. A gesture that I'm his. Cara appears at Luke's side before he can choke out another word, her smile beaming, a glass of fancy champagne in her hand as she smoothes a hand over her black and white dress before hooking her hand around her fiancé's slack one.

"I hope there's no Tesco flowers hidden in here." I try to joke, taking a dramatic around the venue. Luke doesn't react to my words with the disapproving frown I'd expect and Cara only snorts.

"Never!" Cara scoffs, shooting Luke a joking glare as she reaches a soft hand out to me, squeezing my forearm in the careful way she does in a greeting.

"Charles is a flower expert maybe he could give you some tips for next time, huh Luke?" I hum, looking to the man at my side who is wearing a soft smile, hidden nerves dancing in his eyes. Again, Luke doesn't respond, still gaping at Charles a little - it makes me want to punch him in the arm. I didn't think he would act like an idiot and make this so...unbearable.