Chapter Twelve

The girls and I spend the next week preparing for Friday's party. I'll admit I had a lot of fun with them, although most of our "planning" was just regular hanging out. I didn't mind it though. 

Although I eventually told Wendy that I didn't want to go with anyone, she insisted that she could find someone for me. In those situations, I often stayed quiet, thinking of Kenny in the back of my mind. 

I didn't tell Kenny about Wendy's plans. I didn't want him to go around asking her, or ask Stan to ask her or anything. I was still set on keeping Kenny and I's confusing relationship to myself. 

Despite my efforts, Kenny still often asked me what my plans were throughout the week. He tried to be smooth with me, and although his every move made my heart flutter, I'd never let him see. 

Today though, just one day before the party, his words were different. 

"So." I hear his familiar voice from behind me as I shut my locker. 

"Kenny. I'm not planning on going with anyone, not even you." I said, beginning to walk away. 

He walked behind me, holding onto the back of my bookbag, causing me to laugh a bit. 

"Don't you love me anymore?" He asked jokingly, adding desperation in his voice for dramatic effect. 

Now it's my turn to joke. "I loved you?"

Then, he stops me from walking and turns me around to face him. Our eyes meet once again. "Baby, you're killing me." He says, in a voice lower than I expected. This sends a feeling through my body that makes me want to collapse, but I push through. 

"Goodbye Kenny." I say, finally walking away.

Just as Kenny disappears behind me, Wendy sees me and approaches me. 

"Y/n, guess what?" She says.

"What?" 

"I found a date for you!" 

For a second, I turn around to see if Kenny would still be behind me. He wasn't. 

"Wendy, I really don't want to go with anyone." I say. 

"Come on, y/n, you don't have to kiss or anything like that if you don't want to. It's just so that someone can be there with you. Most of us will be with our crushes or boyfriends, so just let me do this for you." 

In that moment, I knew she was only doing this out of the goodness of her heart. She really believed it would bother me if I went alone. 

"Okay." I sign in response. 

I spend majority of my next class wondering if I should tell Kenny what Wendy's plans are. I kept trying to tell myself that it didn't really matter if he knew or not, but something kept pushing me to tell him. 

As I walk out of class, still considering what I should tell Kenny, I see him across the hall. 

Another girl is beside him, whose name I believe to be Sally Darson. 

She smiles at him while pushing her hair behind her ear. I wasn't sure if I was just becoming jealous or if she really was flirting with him. 

Before I can see what he will do next, I quickly look away and walk down the hall as I normally would, unsure of if he had seen me or not. 

I decided then that I wouldn't tell him anything. 

I would go to Wendy after school and find out who it was I would be going to the party with. 

I go to Wendy's after I go home first and knock on the door. 

"Hey Wendy." I say, waiting for her to invite me in. 

She does, and I take a seat on her couch. 

"Is everything okay y/n?" She asks. Maybe I seemed upset. 

"Yeah, I was just wondering who I was going to the party with." 

She smiles, seemingly hopeful that I was asking. 

"Clyde. Clyde Donovan."