Chapter Ten

I open my eyes as I feel the warmth of the sun hit my face. I feel Kenny's arm still wrapped around me, and I look up at him to see that he's awake. 

"Good morning y/n." He smiles down at me when he feels my movement. 

"Good morning." I reply, the warmth of his body shielding me from the cold outside the blanket. 

We both stare at the ceiling and talk to each other, neither one of us wanting to leave this bed. 

"When did you wake up?" I ask, my hand now delicately placed over his chest.

He shrugs, placing his idle hand over the one I have on his chest. "Maybe an hour ago." 

"You didn't want to wake me up?" I laugh. 

"No, you seemed too peaceful." 

I had never heard Kenny talk with such a softness in his voice. I loved it. 

I sit up, wanting to start getting ready, but Kenny reaches for my waist and pulls me back to him. "Just a little while longer." He says. 

*Kenny's POV

It takes some time, but eventually we do get up. Y/n asks me to leave again so she can get dressed and I do. 

I have never slept so peacefully in my life. At my house, there would be fighting all throughout the night and as a result, Karen would cry. I would have to get up and distract her as best as I could so I never got much sleep. 

The sun woke me up today, not the sound of beer bottles smashing into the ground or against the wall. 

I knew in that moment that I could never lose y/n. 

"Will you go home first?" Y/n asks, meeting me in the hallway outside her room. 

"I could." I shrug. "Or we could meet them together." 

"What if they see us come outside together? They'll know you stayed the night." 

I laughed a bit to myself, although I was curious as to why it mattered if they knew or not. 

"You don't want them to know?" I ask playfully as I pull her towards me once again. 

She smiles and rolls her eyes. It drove me crazy when she did that. "No I don't want them to know, I'll never hear the end of it. Nothing happened and we're just friends. I don't need to hear them making fun of me for the rest of time."  

With that, she escaped from my arms and walked downstairs. 

I followed after her. "A secret romance can be fun too." I say, knowing it would annoy her. 

"No romance Kenny, friendship." 

"Okay." I reply, although it bothered me a bit. It was hard to get through to her. 

She walked into the kitchen. "Let's have food, and then you'll go home and we'll make it seem like we just met up today." She tells me. 

I nod. 

We eat, and then I'm on my way home, just to come back the way I came. 

*Y/n's POV*

To deflect Kenny so easily was hurtful for me, but I could only imagine how much worse it would hurt if I opened my heart to him and he betrays me. 

It wasn't that I thought Kenny was bad, just that I believed he couldn't love a girl and stay loyal to her even if he tried. 

He was selfless and kind, I truly believed it. But commitment wasn't in his vocabulary.

It was sad, because Kenny and I got along well. I never had a connection like this before. 

I remembered his words: "I can't die." I wondered how it could be like that. A small part of me still couldn't believe it was real, but the way his eyes glimmered when I said I believed him made me think otherwise. 

Not too long after, I hear a knock at my door. I know it's Kenny coming back to pretend that it's our first time seeing each other today. I was grateful that he respected that wish of mine. 

I open the door, but before I can say anything, Kenny places his hand out in front of me. 

"May I?" He asks, a sly smile creeping on his face. 

I take his hand only to instantly push it away. "No you may not." 

It's colder outside than usual, and so we decide to go to Kyle's house and see what he's doing. 

*

"Hey dudes." Kyle says after opening the door. "Stan was just gonna come by and then we would meet up with you and Cartman, but since you're both already here, what do you wanna do?" He asks. 

"We can just chill today." I say.

Stan arrives shortly after with Cartman. 

"Dudes!" Stan yells, taking a seat next to me on the couch. "Wendy's throwing a party!" 

"Woohoo!" Kenny cheers. 

"Sick, when is it?" Kyle asks.

"Next weekend." 

"Alright!" 

Everyone was happy about the party. I thought that maybe it could be an opportunity to get closer with some of the girls in this town. I was excited too. I smiled.