XXVIII

Bruce stared at Vance for a while, taking in his features that he had grown to love and adore. All his nerves had been washed away and all he could feel now was the warmth that filled his chest with the fact that Vance didn't hate him.

Bruce could hear the faint noise of his mother on the phone downstairs, her voice muffled but still angry and even though usually Bruce would try to listen to her conversation, he was too preoccupied with the pound of his heart.

"Are you still mad at me?" Vance asked and Bruce felt his stomach flip at the softness in his voice. Bruce smiled softly before shaking his head, maybe he was upset with him yesterday or even this morning, but now that Vance was here, Bruce couldn't be angry at him.

Bruce looked down, looking at Vance's wet shoes before making a disgusted face.

"Well, I'm mad that you have your wet shoes on my carpet." Bruce watched as Vance quickly looked down before taking off his shoes and muttering a quick apology.

He placed his shoes by the window before walking over to Bruce. He could smell Vance's cheap cologne but he loved the scent. They stood a foot apart now and Bruce wanted more than anything to close the gap.

"So, are we good then?" Vance asked, his voice dying down now that they were closer. Vance also smelt like rain and Bruce could picture him in his head walking down the street while the rain dropped onto his skin.

He heard his mother yell his father's name, followed by multiple curses and words that Bruce had never heard her threaten before. Bruce looked down again.

"Depends." He muttered and he watched as Vance took a step closer to him.

"What the fuck do you mean 'depends'?" Vance breathed out and Bruce laughed as he gently reached out to touch Vance's fingers.

Bruce shrugged while he felt Vance gently hold his fingers between his. Bruce stared at their hands and he he could see cut in Vance's knuckles from a fight he must've gotten in, the cuts were still fresh.

Bruce compared their hands in roughness, Vance's were cut and bruised on the back while Bruce's were calloused and soft, he liked the difference.

"I don't want you to see that girl anymore." Bruce whispered out, watching as Vance's thumb rubbed along the back of his hand, leaving behind an invisible path.

"Yeah? And what are you gonna do if I keep seeing her?" Bruce could hear the smirk and when he looked up, he was met with exactly that. Vance leaned down and Bruce could feel the world around them fading away.

Bruce tilted his head up, and he smiled at Vance as he thought of some threat that they both knew would never be followed through with.

"I'll hit you with my bat." Vance laughed at him and Bruce could feel his face pull into a smile that would make his eyes crinkle in the corners.

"I'd like to see you try." Vance's hands now sat on Bruce's hips and it made his cheeks feel warm.

"You don't think I could do it?" Bruce questioned, amusement dripping from his voice. Vance shook his head as the inches between them slowly started to disappear.

"I know you'd never do it." Vance whispered, his breath fanning over Bruce's face and he could smell cherries radiating off his lips. Bruce looked into his eyes, but his eyes were looking down at Bruce's lips.

Bruce brought his hands up to rest on either side of Vance's face, feeling the butterflies swarm in his stomach as he slowly leaned in, placing his lips on Vance's gently.

The kiss was soft and genuine, holding all the sadness that Bruce had felt and with each movement of their lips, that sadness dropped away like the rain outside.

Bruce never knew he could miss someone's touch as much as he was missed this, he felt like fireworks could explode around them. No words could express the happiness he felt knowing that things could possibly return to the way they were.

Bruce pulled away from the kiss first, although he didn't want to. He rested his forehead on Vance's and stared into his eyes.

"Just so you know," Bruce began. "This doesn't mean I like you or anything."

Vance scoffed with a laugh.

"Wouldn't dream of it."

-

Vance left that night, an hour after he had arrived. Bruce's mother had called him down to watch a film with her and he couldn't deny, she had no idea Vance was just upstairs, so they decided to hang out tomorrow, but before Vance had gone, he whispered one thing to Bruce that would be on his mind the whole movie.

Bruce stared at Vance as he got his shoes back on. The window was now open and the rain had stopped, but the air still smelt like it and still held a tiny chill that made Bruce shiver.

Vance stood up after lacing his boot, he looked at Bruce and huffed while Bruce smiled at him. Vance began to lift his leg over the windowsill, sitting on it while Bruce walked up to him.

Vance reached out and touched Bruce's waist, holding his hip and lacing his thumb in the belt loop of Bruce's shorts.

Vance leaned over.

"I want you to meet my mom." Vance whispered. Bruce's face began to burn and he felt like all the words in his mind had vanished. Vance looked up at him and Bruce just smiled, feeling as Vance kissed his cheek before leaving the room fully.

Maybe this is how Vance had felt when Bruce first proposed the idea of meeting his parents, although maybe it was worse for Vance, he had already known his father would hate him.

Bruce's mother had adored Vance, which was a bit surprising considering his mother was a bit defensive and uncomfortable at the beginning. Eventually she actually got to know him and she genuinely liked him being around.

Bruce had never even heard of Vance's parents, he didn't know how they act or even who they are. The only trace he knew of Vance's parents actually existing was when he showed up at the Hopper residence and heard Vance's father. He also knew that Vance most likely didn't have the best relationship with his father since he had told Bruce before that his father was similar to Bruce's and that he had hit Vance when he got expelled.

But as far as Vance's mother goes, Bruce knew nothing. His heart had been hammering the entire time while his mother laughed at the movie she had chose.

He now had to made sure he made a good impression on Vance's mother. Part of him hoped she had heard of his good reputation and maybe already love him before he opened his mouth.

Maybe that was too egotistical.