XVII

TW: Mentions of abuse

It was now their last week of school, Bruce felt more stress free now that baseball season was over and soon he would be on summer vacation, he was happy that he didn't sign himself up for summer baseball knowing that he needed a break.

The first day back from the the tournament weekend, Vance was already in a fight. Bruce had heard his yells from down the hall and he couldn't help but walk near it to see who was the victim.

He joined the crowd as he watched Vance lay punch after punch on the kid that Bruce couldn't recognize with all the blood on his face. Bruce couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that just two days ago Vance was being kind and sweet and now he was here on top of some random person punching them.

Bruce didn't watch long, he couldn't stand fights still. So he walked away, as he turned the corner he saw Billy Showalter standing at his locker, Bruce picked up his speed to meet up with him.

"Hey," Bruce spoke, watching as Billy closed his bag.

"Hi. How was your tournament?" Bruce shrugged, looking over his shoulder as he heard a yell from a teacher about the behaviour going on.

"It was okay."

"Did Vance go with you?" Bruce redirected his attention to Billy who gave have a small smile as he closed his locker.

"Um... well... yeah, he did." Bruce had to look away from Billy as he raised his eyebrows amused. Billy had been giving Bruce weird looks at school and Bruce knew it had been because Billy saw them together at his house. "But it was just for the act."

"Uh huh." Billy nodded as he began to walk, Bruce following. They walked past the hallway where the fight had been which was now just the principal and Vance. Bruce looked at Vance's slump position on the wall as he barely listened to the threat the principal laid on him. Then Bruce made eye contact with him.

"Did you hear how some singer is coming here next month?" Billy asked, making Bruce look away from Vance's eyes and over to Billy.

"Yeah, Finney told me." Billy entered their first period class and Bruce followed him to their seats. "Are you planning on going?" Billy shrugged as he slung his bag on the back of his chair.

"Maybe. Tickets are expensive though and I'm saving up." Bruce wondered how much Billy got paid for doing papers, he had been doing it for years but he thought that it couldn't have been much.

"How much?"

"They're making it $10 per person, I read it in the paper this morning." Bruce widened his eyes.

"Jesus." He breathed out, watching as the teacher entered the classroom and students began to take their seats. "Robin was talking about-"

"I know what he was talking about and I told him that's probably not a good idea. But if you guys decide to sneak in, I won't say anything."

The teacher began to speak as the bell finished ringing, Bruce let their conversation die in fear of getting in trouble for talking during class.

Bruce still wanted to go to the concert but he didn't have ten dollars and he knew his parents would never give him money for it, plus he kinda was excited to sneak in.

He listened as the teacher explained that this final week was just a catch up week which made Bruce hunch over knowing he'd be bored as he had nothing to catch up on.

-

Bruce stood outside the school building, it had been almost an hour since school had ended and Vance hadn't came to meet him. He had been standing with Gwen and Finney but they had to go so Finney could do some homework, they even offered to walk home with him first but he politely declined incase Vance showed up.