IV

TW: Homophobia

Bruce couldn't find Vance Hopper anywhere. He had looked all first period, expecting to find him outside or around the school and even though he knew that meant Vance was at The Grab N Go, he was not leaving school property to find him. He'll have to do it later, at lunch maybe.

As lunch did roll around, eventually, Bruce made sure he ate first. He was getting nervous now, he felt like he heart was going to beat out of his chest.

He entered the cafeteria and was welcomed with a group forming. He thought it was Vance and he was excited to see him just so he could talk to him after.. he still hates him though.

As he neared however, pushing through the crowd, he realized it wasn't Vance but Robin and Finney (well really just Robin) arguing with one of the jocks in their school, Bruce had recognized the jacket he wore signalling he was on the school football team.

Finney stood to the side looking like he wanted to get out of the circle while Robin was talking smack with the jock.

"You little fags are going to give the rest of the school a bad reputation." The jock spoke, smirking. Bruce had never seen him, maybe he was a shy kid who barely spoke, but he still should know not to mess with Robin.

"Fuck off." Robin sneered, as he stepped closer to the boy. Finney looked behind him before trying to push through the crowd to get out but was soon met by someone pushing him to the ground. "Hey!" Robin turned, looking at the guy who pushed Finney.

Bruce watched as Robin walked up to the guy before laying a punch right on his jaw. The crowd 'ooo'ed and soon a fight had begun. The jock was watching now, not participating, maybe he was scared, or maybe he just didn't want to fight.

Robin was winning the fight against the guy and so Bruce took it upon himself to maneuver through the crowd to get to Finney who stood in the circle watching Robin.

Bruce grabbed his arm and pulled him over.

"What happened?" Bruce asked, wanting a bit of context. Finney leaned over, and Bruce saw a bruise forming under his left eye.

"We were just going to find a table when number 7 over there," Bruce looked at the jock who cheered in the crowd. "walked over and pushed Robin and then... yeah... also the guy punched me, like what the fuck did I do." Finney laughed and Bruce couldn't help but join in.

He looked back at the fight seeing Robin on top of the guy punching him hard as his face was bloody. Finney smiled at him.

Robin stood up, spitting on the guy before turning toward the crowd.

"You can go now." He said, and as if he was entirely in control of everyone, everyone left the fight, leaving the boy on the ground as he walked up to Finney and Bruce. "Be right back." He said smiling at them before leaving the cafeteria.

Finney and Bruce began to find a table, Bruce was going to sit with them because this was his first step of disobedience.

As they sat, Bruce scanned the cafeteria looking for blonde curls anywhere. He wasn't able to, however.

Finney looked over at him. "What's wrong?" He asked.

Bruce looked at him before adverting his eyes to look at the table.

"Nothing... um... have you..."

"Dude, spit it out." Finney laughed, pulling an apple out of his bag.

"Have you seen Vance anywhere?" Finney choked on his apple, Bruce rolled his eyes.

"What." He finally breathed out. Bruce leaned over the table to ask him again with a whisper in case anyone hears him this time.

"Have you seen Vance?" He repeated. Finney leaned back with a small smile of surprise.