XXIII

TW: Homophobia

"Here, this should be good." Billy said, handing Bruce a blue sweater that had a high collar. Bruce took it and pulled it over his arms, zipping it up to its highest position to hide the marks on his neck as they got ready for school.

Billy's house was quiet in the morning, different from Bruce's which was talkative and always having some kind of noise. Billy's mother and father didn't seem to talk much as far as Bruce knew, and he felt awkward having breakfast with them when he was nervous they could hear every sound he'd make.

Bruce could see that Billy looked like his father, almost a spitting image. He could also tell that they had the same interest as his father was wearing The Beatles on his t-shirt.

It was two hours before school and the sun was peaking over the grass which was wet with dew and Bruce shivered as the morning cold his his body. He stood by the garage, petting Billy's dog.

Billy was putting together his papers and Bruce was kind enough to offer to help him after he let him spend the night. If Bruce knew he got up this early, he might've changed his mind. He watched as Billy tossed a final wrapped up newspaper into the basket of his bicycle. Bruce was going to use Billy's fathers bike which didn't have a basket so he felt that maybe he wasn't going to be of much use when it came to delivering, but at least he'd keep Billy company.

They rode slowly down the streets of their town, Billy's dog following them. Bruce could feel the wind softly blowing through his hair as he felt warm in Billy's sweaters.

He watched as Billy threw the papers onto the lawns of their neighbours, watching as it flew fast through the air and landing either in the middle of the yard of close to the steps. Some of the neighbours were awake and have a small wave to them as they picked up the paper.

After they were done, they dropped the dog off at Billy's home. Bruce had then realized that he didn't bring his backpack so he had nothing, but tomorrow was their last day of school so he knew he wouldn't need anything anyway.

The drive to school was quiet with the occasional conversation of Billy and his mother, while Bruce sat in the backseat enjoying the warmth the car gave off.

-

Bruce walked to his locker with Billy following behind him to talk about some movie he wanted to see. Bruce couldn't focus on his words as he felt eyes boring into his body and all the other students staring at him. It wasn't their usual looks that they usually have him, he didn't see any smiles or friendly expressions.

Instead, they all glared at him, looking him up and down with an unreadable expression.

"Why is everyone staring at you?" Billy whispered, leaning over as he spoke and looked at the students around them.

"I don't know." Bruce watched as some of the students made eye contact with him before they would lean over to whisper something in the ear of the person beside them.

Bruce looked to the ground as he walked up to his locker, doing in his combination and to grab his textbook for algebra. He was used to people looking at him but he never had the looks these people were giving him, he looked down seeing that his neck was covered, so as far as he knew, there was no reason for them to be staring at him.

He felt a shove on his shoulder, pushing him against his locker and he turned to see if Billy had just done that. Billy stood beside him, hands at his side as he stared at someone behind Bruce. He turned around to see that boy who had once punched him in the washroom.

"I can't believe what I've been hearing, Yamada." He spoke and Bruce couldn't help but hold his breath as he stared at the boy. "Guess your crown will be up for grabs then, yeah?"