XXVII

Bruce rod his bike up to Vance's house. He had tried the Grab 'N Go earlier but Vance had been there with some of his friends and Bruce didn't want to chance it. He had remembered Vance's address despite only being there once — and technically not even going inside.

Bruce was a bit nervous to be standing outside the Hopper residence, he had contemplated a few times if he should just keep riding past.

It had been four days since the concert and Bruce had kept the idea of speaking to Vance on his mind twenty-four seven. He wanted to just get it off his chest that he liked Vance and maybe that would settle his unruly emotions. He honestly didn't care anymore if Vance felt the same, he just needed to get all these thoughts loose. He had talked to Billy about and Amy but it didn't feel right, it didn't make him feel any calmer than keeping his thoughts in did.

He got off his bike, leaning it against the white fence as he stared at the front door. He could feel his mouth becoming dry and his arms felt shaky even when he wasn't shaking. He wiped his hands on his shorts, feeling the sweat pool in his palms.

He felt as nervous as he did when he first talked to Vance months ago.

He opened the gate, walking up the sidewalk and to the door. He hoped Vance was home or this would be awkward. He replayed his conversation in his head for the at least the tenth time as he raised his hand to knock gently on the door.

He counter the seconds that passed as he stared at the door, his heart feeling like it was climbing up his throat. The door opened and Bruce felt like he would pass out.

Vance stood in front of him, his brow furrowed and Bruce couldn't look him in the eye.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, his voice low. Bruce had to take a deep breath before he spoke, his chest feeling like a weight was sat on it.

"I... I wanted to talk to you." Bruce stuttered, he cursed himself for speaking so shakily. The air between them was tense and silent and Bruce found himself wishing he kept riding past. When he hadn't heard a reply, he looked up to make sure Vance was still there and that he hadn't shut the door silently in his face.

They made eye contact and Bruce felt a lump grow in his throat.

"Listen, Bruce, right now is not a good time." His voice was softer than it was when he first opened the door but it still held that irritation upon seeing Bruce.

"But, I need to talk to you." Bruce felt his hands shaking, so he held them in front of him.

"Not right now." Vance said a bit sternly. Bruce felt partially that Vance just didn't want to see him and if he wasn't scared of Vance getting angry at him, he would've kept trying, but instead he hesitated and nodded slightly, mumbling a soft 'okay'.

He looked at Vance once more before walking back down the steps, he heard a man's voice call in the home, asking who was at the door and it was a voice that Bruce had never heard before. Before the door shut, he heard Vance reply.

The man's voice was deep and it sent a chill down Bruce's spine when he heard it. He closed the gate, grabbing his bike off the fence.

He didn't want to ponder on what could've been happening inside the home, instead he kept peddling, thinking of what he could do when he got home to keep himself occupied.

The sky hung with grey clouds as Bruce turned off Vance's street. Bruce could smell the rain that would soon come and he felt a bit disappointed as if he was going to be outside this afternoon — which he wasn't.

He had planned to hang out with Billy the whole day, but that only lasted for the morning till Billy had to go see his Aunt which led Bruce having no other plans, which was why he decided to let himself go to Vance.