XIX

In the morning, when Bruce's alarm rang, he stared at Vance for a while. He didn't want to get up, he was comfortable and he didn't want to deal with school. The blaring alarm didn't seem to bother Vance as he continued to sleep, his face peaceful and his mouth hanging open a bit to release soft snores.

Bruce just smiled at him, feeling Vance's hand resting on his back and the warmth radiating off his sleeping body. He lowered his head back onto Vance's shoulder, laying there for moments longer, the alarm sound still going off and annoying Bruce, but he knew if he moved, Vance would wake up. But then a thought crossed his mind and he shook Vance softly.

He heard the boy groan quietly, moving a bit before falling asleep again. Bruce shook him a bit harder this time and watched as he squinted to open his eyes.

"What's that sound?" Vance asked, rolling onto his side, moving Bruce with him.

"My alarm. I have to get ready for school." He watched as Vance closed his eyes again and Bruce swore he fell asleep. "Where are you going to go?" Bruce asked, pushing a piece of hair out of Vance's face.

"I'll figure it out... can't you just stay here?" Vance's voice was rough and Bruce couldn't help but love it. Bruce stared at Vance again as he felt Vance pull him in closer.

"My parents would kill me if I skipped class." Bruce felt their chests pushed together and he wanted to hold his breath to not disturb Vance. "Actually... you know, my mom has today off if you'd feel comfortable staying here with her." Vance opened his eyes and Bruce could see that he still wanted sleep.

Vance looked at him for a moment. "Would your mom be okay with that?" Bruce nodded.

"I think so... my mom likes you. Did I tell you she bought you those chips you told her you liked? She even keeps like a jar of spare change now, I swear she likes you more than me." Vance laughed at him, and Bruce could feel his heart melt at Vance's smile.

Bruce had to forcefully push away from Vance, which was hard when he kept trying to pull him back into the bed. Eventually he was able to get up, turning off the alarm clock and walking into his closet to get clothes.

He went to the washroom, brushing his hair and teeth, and trying to wash the blush away from his cheeks, the cold water feeling refreshing. When he came back to his room, Vance was already dressed in his clothes from yesterday. Bruce grabbed his hand softly as he walked up to him, those butterflies coming back. Vance stared down at him and Bruce wanted to lean in and kiss him just like he did last night, but he didn't know if he could hide his pink face when he got downstairs.

So Bruce opened the door and led them downstairs instead, hearing the sounds of his mother and father talking at the table, that's when he remembered Vance wasn't here when they went to bed. He slowly walked into the kitchen, trying not to look at his parents.

"Are you hungry?" Bruce asked, letting go of Vance's hand to walk to the cupboard. Vance shook his head as he leaned on the counter to watch him.

Bruce was hoping if he didn't look at his father, maybe they'd turn invisible and no one would ask him anything. Bruce got his breakfast only making eye contact with Amy once who had a tired expression. Bruce decided to stand at the island and eat his breakfast where his father would be facing away from him.

He saw his mother look at him but she didn't say anything and Bruce hoped that was because she didn't want his father to say something that would ruin the rest of Bruce's day.

"You like Raisin Bran?" Vance whispered to him, disgusted forming on his face. Bruce looked away from his mother to give Vance a semi-offended look.

"It's pretty good. I like raisins." Bruce whispered back, their conversation covered by the sound of Bruce's father asking Amy a question about school.