XI

Vance didn't end up leaving last night. Although it was a school night, Vance decided he wasn't leaving. Bruce didn't mind him being there but it felt weird that Vance wanted to stay over when they weren't even really friends.

Bruce didn't tell his family, and in fact, he didn't leave his room the rest of the night. Bruce had a small bed, the guest room was down the hall, even though Bruce remembers telling Vance that he could sleep in the guest room if he wanted, he still woke up with Vance in his bed beside him.

It was a funny feeling laying beside Vance in the early morning. His bed was small, he wasn't lying about that, he woke up with Vance's sleeping face turned toward him, practically a few inches away, Bruce could feel the soft snores of breath against his face.

He could only imagine that at some point in the night they could've been tangled in each others limbs and neither would've known. However when he awoke, he was pushed against the wall, Vance's arms on his own side of the bed.

As he checked the time on his alarm clock, he knew that pretty soon the annoying sound would go off and he just wanted to lay in bed for the day. It was Friday tomorrow and that was the only thing keeping Bruce going.

He remembered last night, the feeling of embarrassment and anger flooding the pit of his stomach.

After what happened at dinner, Billy said he was going to go home, he said it was late and maybe that was true, but all Bruce could think of was that that was an excuse to leave the house after what he witnessed.

When Billy left, Bruce and Vance sat in his room...

Bruce's room was boring. That was one way Vance would explain it to somehow who never stepped foot in it. It was plain and boring and you couldn't tell who Bruce was by looking at it.

It was always clean and Vance could imagine that Bruce cleaned it whenever one thing was out of place. He had a bed pushed into the corner with dark blue bedding, a plain brown nightstand beside it, and on top was a black alarm clock and lamp.

He had a desk on the other end of the room with books stacked neatly at the back of it and some comics pushed against the wall. He had a closet door with the clothes that Bruce wore, and that was it. He had no posters, no photos, nothing.

They sat in silence as Bruce sniffled the rest of his tears away, taking a soft seat beside Vance on the bed.

Vance could tell that something was wrong, but it was obvious by what had happened during dinner. It was weird to see Bruce like this. He was always happy, always smiling even if he wasn't happy.

Vance had never seen him sad. Being his fake boyfriend would open a whole new world to the Bruce Yamada he knew. Vance never really hated Bruce, he hated the idea of him. He had only spoken with him a few times but he knew that Bruce didn't like him.

Vance hated hearing about Bruce all the time from random people, he had always heard people parading his name around like some kind of celebrity. Vance hated it. He hated a lot of things about Bruce, and his popularity was a big one.

Along with how Bruce was good at everything. It could be something he never heard of or even tried and he'd ace it on the first try, breaking high scores, becoming the best at it. Vance hated it.

He had seen a few of Bruce's ball games before the one he was invited to, though he'd never admit it, and every time he'd go, he'd secretly wish that Bruce would mess up and loose the game. He never did. He always missed the first two balls but he always hit the third, always high and over the fence, always a home run. It made Vance disgusted.