Chapter 17

Daniel nervously twirled his tie as his mother swatted his hand away, scolding him to leave it alone. She fixed it for him, nearly choking him with how tight she pulled it.

"Ma, I can't breathe," Daniel exclaimed, gasping for air, raggedly coughing, and loosening it a bit.

He combed his fingers through his hair, becoming jittery, sneaking a drink of whiskey that Johnny stole from Sid and gave to Daniel. The bitter taste of alcohol burned his throat and his stomach felt like sludge from the bottom of a gasoline can. His stomach churned in disgust and he thought he was about to throw up all over his shiny, new dress shoes his mother bought for this 'special' occasion. He held it together, swallowing the bile that was rising in his throat. The clock ticked loudly on the wall across from Daniel as if it was taunting him, counting down the few minutes he had left before he went to pick up Velma, his dreadful date. He made a sour face just thinking about the poofy, pink dress that looked like it had about seven layers of tulle and ribbon.

"Daniel, I don't understand why you're acting like this. It's just one night to take a pretty girl to a dance and enjoy yourself for the evening. You're acting as if I'm asking you to marry this girl!" His mother said, rolling her eyes.

"Of course, you don't understand, ma. How could you?" Daniel blurted out sullenly before he quickly became silent.

"It's one night. Make the best of it. Make sure you're home before midnight, please."

"Yes, ma. Don't worry," Daniel said in a dull tone, grabbing his suit jacket that was draped over the chair, reluctantly putting it on, and glancing at the clock as worry clouded his mind. 

Once he was out of his mother's sight, he lit a cigarette, feeling the smoke hit the back of his throat and he began to hack, choking on the smoke. It was his second time using a cigarette and he liked watching the smoke curl around him and the way the cigarette felt between his fingers. Johnny was a terrible influence on him, knowing he was the one who convinced him to start drinking and smoking. He finished his cigarette and snuffed it out as he reached Velma's house. He groaned silently and took a deep breath before knocking on her door.

Velma's mother opened the door with a smile on her face and said, "Ahh, you must be Daniel! It's so nice to finally meet you. Velma is very excited."

Daniel put on a fake smile and said, "Oh, me too."

Velma appeared behind her mother in the god-awful pink dress, nearly drowning in the fabric. Her hair was in two high pigtails and her bangs were curled and coiffed, making her look like a five-year-old. Who the hell wears pigtails to a dance? But Daniel kept his mouth shut, keeping the fake smile plastered to his face.

Velma did a small spin and then said in her tinkly, high-pitched voice, "What do you think?"

"You look like cotton candy," Daniel lightly said, wincing as the fabric puffed out around her.

"Oh, goody! I love cotton candy," Velma said with a sickeningly sweet laugh.

"Of course you do. And I'm sure you love unicorns, princesses, and everything pink," Daniel muttered sarcastically.

"I do! You already know me so well," Velma exclaimed, missing the sarcasm that was evident in Daniel's tone.

Daniel and Velma said goodbye to her parents, making their way out the door. Velma clung onto Daniel's arm, almost digging her neon pink manicured nails into his skin. Her pigtails flounced in the air, nearly whipping Daniel in the face. He gritted his teeth and clenched his jaw, trying to distract himself from lashing out. Relief washed over him when he saw Johnny and Betty standing outside Rocco's Pizzeria. Betty had on a blue chiffon dress that glimmered when it caught the sun's rays and her blonde hair was elegantly twisted into a chignon with loose, curled tendrils hanging in her face. She looked like a starlet on the silver screen, making Velma look like a clown. Daniel felt Johnny's cool hand on his back, giving him a reassuring pat, and calming him down. They went into the pizzeria and ordered.

"One large pepperoni pizza, please," Johnny said, pulling out a twenty-dollar bill, and handing it to the lady behind the counter.

She handed him his change and stated, "Your pizza will be out in just a bit."

Velma cuddled up against Daniel and he stiffened, moving slightly away from her. Johnny stifled a laugh as Daniel glared his way, mouthing, "fuck you."

The pizza came and they awkwardly ate in silence before Betty cleared her throat and said, "So uh, who's ready prom?"

Velma clapped excitedly as a string of cheese dangled from her chin and dreamily said, "Me! Oh, I do hope they play a few slow songs. Don't you, Daniel?"

"Oh, yeah, sure," Daniel mumbled.

Once they finished their pizza they headed toward the school gym which was already packed full of teenagers. The music was loud, causing the entire gymnasium to shake. Daniel and Johnny snuck away from their dates and hid in a darkened corner. Johnny pressed a quick kiss to Daniel's lips before pulling away.

"I can't wait to get you out of that suit," Johnny said in a husky tone.

Daniel hummed in approval before he saw Velma clambering over to him. She grabbed his arm and yanked him onto the dance floor and he looked at Johnny with pleading eyes as if to say, 'help me, help me!' Johnny and Betty soon joined them and they spun each other in circles until they were almost too dizzy to stand. An hour had come and gone when Johnny had a very bright idea and pulled Daniel to the side.

"I have a plan," Johnny said with a glint in his eyes.

"Oh no, what kind of plan?" Daniel said as dread filled him, knowing it couldn't be good.

"You'll see," Johnny said with a smirk as he prompted Daniel to come along with him.

Once Daniel saw what he had planned his stomach flipped with nerves. He was going to flood the gymnasium with water and a mixture of slime he concocted.

"Johnny, this is not a good idea."

"Come on, LaRusso. Don't be a pussy," Johnny said with a teasing smile as he finished mixing his concoction, grabbing the water hose.

Daniel hesitantly helped, weaving the hose into its spot. Daniel licked his lips nervously as he turned the hose on, watching the water gush out of it. Johnny got the bucket of slime ready and dumped it from the ceiling. The water and slime flooded the gymnasium. People began to scream and the two boys watched everyone slip and slide on the slick floor. Johnny and Daniel began to snicker as they watched the chaos unfold around them.

"Prom is ruined!" A shrill voice rang out.

"I was supposed to be prom queen!" another girl shouted.

Daniel and Johnny covered their mouths as they laughed, turning around when the principal grabbed them by the back of their necks.

"You're coming with me," he angrily snarled, marching the boys to his office.