Chapter 11

Daniel's hands shook with nerves as he tried fixing his bow tie, only for it to fall in the lopsided mess that he had started with, and groaned in frustration as he ripped it off, flinging it across the room. The knuckles of his olive-colored skin had turned whiter than the snow that was probably covering the ground in Newark, New Jersey. He had tiptoed into his mother's room to make sure she was asleep, hearing her soft snores, feeling like an intruder for spying on her. He returned to his room, listening to the rhythmic ticking of the clock, glancing at it as Johnny yelled from underneath his window.

"Whatcha doing up there, pretty boy?"

"How do you suppose I get down there? Do I jump out of the window?" Daniel nervously said as he looked out the window in terror, realizing how far of a jump it would be.

"Are you stupid? You're not jumping out of the window, idiot! Just go out the front door."

"Look, I've never snuck out before!"

Johnny scoffed while shaking his head and said, "Yeah, I can tell."

Daniel snuck out the front door as quietly as a mouse, closing the door as softly as he could, feeling Johnny's hands pressed up against his eyes before he blindfolded him and released his hands.

"Do you trust me?" Johnny questioned, tightening the blindfold that was wrapped around Daniel's eyes, and securing it tightly in the back.

"I'm not sure..." Daniel hesitantly said, nearly stumbling over the cobblestones.

Johnny caught him and intertwined his fingers with Daniel's, steadying him and whispered in his ear, "I promise you won't regret sneaking out."

He led him to the car he stole from his stepfather for the night and opened the door, escorting Daniel into the passenger side of the seat and sternly said, "Do not take that blindfold off. If you sneak any sort of peeking I will turn this car back around and you will be boyfriendless, do you understand?"

"Aye, aye captain," Daniel said as he saluted him, or rather ended up saluting the windshield that was in front of him.

"Smartass," Johnny mumbled under his breath as he started the engine, feeling the nerves tumble in his stomach, glancing at Daniel and giggling softly to himself, admiring how cute he looked with the blindfold on.

"Are we almost there?" Daniel asked for the umpteenth time.

"If you ask me one more time, I will push you out of this damn car."

"Wow, you're not making a very good impression on wanting to be my boyfriend," Daniel said dramatically, sprawling himself out in the seat.

"And you're being annoying! Just sit there and be quiet."

Daniel scowled and fiddled with the radio station until he heard the melodic harmony of Chicago drift through the speakers, turning it up, and began to sing along with it.

"You listen to this sissy stuff?" Johnny said as he crinkled his nose.

"Sissy stuff! You know Johnny, there's more music than just Mötley Crüe and Metallica."

"Yeah, if you're a pussy."

Daniel turned the music up louder, drowning out Johnny's protests and whining. After about forty-five minutes of driving, Johnny found the spot and slowed the car to a stop, getting out and helping Daniel out of the passenger side. Johnny removed the blindfold from Daniel's eyes and he gasped in awe, looking out at the scenery that stood in front of him. The moon hung like a disco ball in the night sky, reflecting against the ocean, casting a shimmer over it. The galaxy of stars glistened up above, vibrant with life as a shooting star flew across the sky.

"Johnny, this is beautiful." Daniel breathed out in a tranquil manner as he flopped on the ground, staring up at the sky.

Johnny laid next to him and said, "I found this place years ago and you're the first person I've ever taken here. This was my safe place whenever I needed to escape from feeling like I was suffocating."

The two boys sat in silence, enjoying the stars that glittered in the night sky. The rippling of the ocean calmed both of their nerves and Johnny rolled on top of Daniel, pressing his lips up against Daniel's pink ones, and left a kiss on the corner of his mouth before getting up and grabbing Daniel's hand. He opened the car's trunk and found the picnic basket as well as his portable stereo. He set the basket down and turned the radio on, finding a station that was playing a soft, love song, and pulled Daniel into his chest as he swayed with him.

"I thought this music was for pussies?" Daniel questioned, raising his eyebrow as Johnny spun him in a twirl.

"It is," he said, kicking Daniel lightly in the shin.

They swayed as the leaves danced enthusiastically around them in the wind as REO Speedwagon wailed in the background. Johnny soon collapsed on the ground, pulling Daniel into his lap, opening the picnic basket and taking out a few chocolate-covered strawberries, and told Daniel to open his mouth. Daniel obeyed and Johnny plopped a chocolate strawberry into his mouth and Daniel hummed in satisfaction. Johnny watched the smaller boy in his lap and finally broke the silence.

"Daniel, you are the best thing that's ever happened to me. Now, I know I've treated you like shit and you have every right to hate me for it, but I'm so glad you chose to roll the dice and take a chance on me. I can't promise that it'll be sunshine and roses with me, but what I can promise is that I won't ever make you feel like you're nothing because you're not nothing. You are not nothing. I never want you to feel that way again. Will you be my boyfriend, Daniel LaRusso?"

Daniel's eyes widened in shock as his eyes clouded over and he tried to formulate words, but no sound came out. He nodded and wrapped his arms tightly around the blond boy and peppered his entire face in delicate kisses.

"I take that as a yes," Johnny said with a laugh.

"Yes, yes, yes, a hundred times yes," Daniel mumbled up against Johnny's lips.

"You're the best thing that's ever been mine," Johnny said with a dazed expression across his face.