Chapter 14

Johnny waltzed into the dojo in a haze, a bit too giddy for Kreese and Johnny felt his cold snake-like fingers grip the back of his neck. His fingers dug into his flushed skin, causing Johnny to let out a small yelp. Kreese kept his controlling grip on the boy, digging his fingers further into the back of his neck until blood droplets formed and dripped down the back of his neck. Goosebumps rose upon Johnny's arms as his stomach churned, feeling bile in the back of his throat. He stared at the mat that was in front of him, afraid he would vomit all over it. 

"I thought we made it very clear that LaRusso is your enemy. So please enlighten me why you've been chumming around town with him and it better be one hell of a good answer," Kreese spat out in anger.

Johnny scoffed in annoyance and said, "Have you been spying on me? Real classy of you, Kreese."

"Don't be daft, boy. It's for your own good. You really think you could survive without me? If so, you have another thing coming. I'll be your worst nightmare. I outta knock some sense into you."

Before Johnny could move a fist connected with his stomach and he doubled over in agony. The room spun in vigorous circles and he tried standing up, but collapsed as his legs buckled underneath him. He shivered as Kreese knelt down and said, "I do this for your own good."

"I fucking hate you." Johnny mumbled under his breath, pushing himself up and staggered out the door. His entire body throbbed with pain as he hobbled down the street, nearly tripping on the uneven cobblestones. His house came in view and a flood of relief coursed through him as he reached the door. Before he could open the door Daniel popped out of the bush and shouted, "Surprise!"

"Jesus, LaRusso. That wasn't fucking funny," Johnny snarled, glaring at the brown-haired boy.

"Wow, excited to see me much?" Daniel said sarcastically, rolling his eyes and stepping away from the bush.

"Look, I'm really not into your antics right now, okay? Please just go."

Daniel's mouth hung open in astonishment before a stoic expression fell upon his face, stepping forward, wrapping his arms around Johnny's neck, and pressed a kiss up against his lips, feeling the dried blood on the back of his neck.

"Johnny, what the hell happened?"

Johnny melted into Daniel's arms as he became sullen and muttered, "Kreese has seen us hanging out and he's not very happy about that."

"That bastard! I'm going to kill him."

"Daniel you wouldn't even get so much as a punch before he would crush you and pulverize you."

"Well I could try." He huffed dramatically before becoming serious and saying, "Leave, Johnny. Leave the dojo and come to Miyagi-Do."

"It's not that simple, Daniel. I can't just leave. Things may be all sunshine and roses for you, but it's not for me. I can't just up and leave. You'd have no idea what hell I'd be put through."

"You're being a real jerk, you know that? I'm only trying to help," Daniel irritatedly said.

"Well then stop helping!"

"You know what, fuck you." Daniel whirled angrily on his heels, fleeing out of Johnny's driveway as regret washed instantly over Johnny.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck." Johnny yelled, rubbing a hand over his face, feeling tension in his chest.

He ran himself a hot bath and stayed in it until the water was ice cold and his fingers and toes had turned to prunes. He got dressed and rang up Daniel on the telephone, but there was no answer. He called five more times and then left a message that said, "I'm sorry Daniel."

Tears formed in Johnny's crystal blue eyes and he quickly wiped them away roughly. How stupid was he? Feeling sorry for himself over his own mistakes. He tried closing his eyes, hoping he could drift off to sleep and forget the pain his heart felt. It was almost suffocating and he thought his heart would stop beating right then and there. He's felt pain many times, but this was something different. This pain was more sickening and it was killing him. This was the price he had to pay for his stupidity.  He tried calling Daniel one more time and there was nothing but dead air on the other end. He threw the telephone against the wall, watching it smash into smithereens. He felt like he was in purgatory and it was taking control over his mind. If he lost Daniel he would never forgive himself.