Chapter 8

Daniel woke up and was sprawled out on the hardwood floor, groaning softly as he tried to recollect how he ended up in a heap on the floor. He rubbed his throbbing head and noticed Johnny fast asleep in his bed, which was the answer to how he had ended up on the floor. A brief smile fell on his face as he watched Johnny's chest rise and fall in time with his snoring. Daniel was admiring the sleeping boy, brushing a small piece of hair out of his eyes, goggling at him before a sharp knock on the door startled him.

"Daniel? Are you up?" His mother sweetly called out as panic seized Daniel.

He quickly shook Johnny from his slumber while bellowing, "Just a minute, ma! I'm getting dressed."

Johnny groaned, sliding further into the duvet, which Daniel swiftly pulled off of him and ordered him to get up. "Quick, I need you to hide in my closet."

Johnny stared at him in confusion while shaking his head in disagreement and stated, "I'm not hiding in that tiny ass closet of yours."

"Either you get in that tiny ass closet, or I'll push your god damn ass out of the window and don't think I won't because I will. Those are your two choices," Daniel said in irritation as he tapped his foot against the floor nervously.

Johnny put his hands up, surrendering, and mumbled, "Fine, fine, I'm going, jeez anyways."

Johnny crawled into the tiny closet, shutting the door, contorting his body in an odd position so that he could fit in the tight little space as Daniel opened his bedroom door, fluffing his hair back and straightening his shirt.

"Good morning, Daniel! I just wanted to see your baby browns before I left for work." His mother gleefully said as she kissed the top of his head.

"Ma, come on. Enough with the baby browns." Daniel said as he rolled his eyes, pulling his mother in for a hug, but was soon disrupted when they both heard a crash from the closet.

"What was that?" His mother exclaimed as a worried expression fell upon her face.

"Rats!" Daniel blurted out before wincing at what he said.

"Rats?! Oh my god, we have rats! Oh, Daniel, will you please get the maintenance guy. We'll have to exterminate this entire place!" His mother screamed in terror while shivering in fright as she neared closer to the closet door.

Daniel ran in front of the closet door and stated, "Ma, I'm just kidding! There are no rats, I promise. Something must've fallen from the top of my closet, that's all."

Daniel's mother scowled and smacked him lightly on the head while saying, "Daniel, that's not even something to joke about! Do you know the heart attack you just about gave me? Goodness gracious, boy. Now, I must be off to work, so please behave yourself, got it?"

His mother turned on her heels, exiting Daniel's room as a sigh of relief escaped Daniel's lips just as Johnny jumped out of the closet.

"Rats!" Johnny mocked in a high-pitched voice before boyishly giggling, resulting in Daniel giving him the evil eye.

"Oh, shut up! I panicked, okay? I panicked." Daniel said in a snarky tone, glowering at the blond boy that was in front of him.

"You're not a very good liar, are you?" Johnny said with a smirk.

"And you are, huh?"

"Perhaps. Better than your little antic you just performed."

"Whatever. Come on, we have enough time to make pancakes!" Daniel exclaimed in excitement as he grabbed Johnny's hand, running through the apartment to the kitchen area, grabbing out the supplies to make pancakes. Daniel grabbed a banana and started chopping it up.