Chapter 12

"Mai," the little girl would hear her father call as soon as he got back home, "Maithili!"

Her mother would pat the girl and walk out on responding, "Yes, Arhaan."

They would walk in together, chatting and then sit down after freshening up only to have their time with their girl. Her parents will ask her to hold their little fingers with hers and she would do so, playing with them. They told her stories, sang lullabies, played and danced with her and all the while they had trained her for something or the other.

The girl was taught to aim the arrows, swords and daggers and to tame a dragon but she never learned to play with her powers like the other kids did. Her mother always said, "That's because you are different, dear."

But she never wanted to be unique because it made her stay out of the crowd. Her father would motivate, "Sweet heart, maybe you are not born to adjust into the crowd but to stand out."

She had heard strange questions many a times behind her ears but she never knew what was so different about the third realm that had never been heard in any tales. After all she never felt strange in her home when all others looked her through a suspicious eyes with questions, is she one from the third realm?

***

The dishes were taken away and Pari was having a chit chat with Ashiya while Ishya brought Mahika to the backyard.

Ishya questioned, "What is that lady doing in our house?"

Mahika replied, "Had her lunch."

"That's what I am asking, why? Does she know you?"

"No! I met her at the café. We had an encounter and I welcomed her home."

"Is that a joke? Would you invite every stranger on the road just because I am not here?"

"Nope! She is the Godmother."

"That's what! Why do you want the magic to join us in our home?"

"They are from the citadel and not from Triratna."

Citadel has an alliance with the Triratna. Ishya sighed, "Still magic is magic, be it in experienced either tender hands."

"Don't you like magic?"

She didn't want to answer it.

Suddenly they heard someone clearing the throat and there stood the bold woman, Ashiya, "Um... Pari told me that you are here to take me to the citadel. Then why don't we leave? I have heard the heirs have arrived, so let's get there as soon as possible."

Ishya nodded, "Just a moment, Godmother."

Ashiya nodded and walked in on adding, "Ashiya, call me that!"

Ishya shook her head and Mahika asked, "The Triratna's people are up in there?"

"Yes!"

"You are getting into magic?"

"Helpless!"

Mahika put her hand over Ishya's shoulders, "Every story has a beginning,"

And this is yours, Mahika blinked her eyes.

Ishya denied, "So are you sure you have no secret with the Godmother?"

"For sure," she then winked, "I can't lie too much."

"So you have lied to me?"

"In occasions!"

"Seriously? So how can I believe if this bond with the woman is nothing of a lie?"