Twenty-Two

It had been a week since the breach of the tower, and Sophie had been keeping an eye on SHIELD. She knew that Fury had been fired from his position and Hill was now standing in as director. She didn't know why Fury was so set against on trying to get to her.

She had scoured through endless files, data and footage, still coming up empty. She sighed, running a hand over her face, as she sat back in her chair.

'Miss Sweets, Agent Romanoff is down in the lobby. She wishes to speak with you, she says it is an urgent matter..'..

Sophie sat up, as Jarvis informed her. She wondered what the Widow wanted... 'Jarvis, let her up, scan for any devices while she is in the elevator. Do not stop on any floors but mine..'.. She grabbed her phone, and quickly called Tony.

'You ok?'... He answered straight away.

'Sorry to bother you, I know you're out with Pepper, but it seems I have a visitor. Agent Romanoff is here, on her way up to my office. She says it's urgent..'... She pulls up the security feed for the elevator, watching the redhead.

'We're on our way back now. Where's Bruce?'...

'He's down in his lab, he's having a meeting with his staff, I'm not going to bother him. I've already set up for Jarvis to record all footage and audio, as well as scanning her for any devices. She has nothing on her, not even her phone..'.. Sophie was analysing Romanoffs body language. She seemed nervous, with the way she was tapping her leg with her left hand.

'Stay on call to me, I want to hear everything..'.. Sophie could hear him talking to Pepper, and then the sound of a car engine... 'We're 15 minutes away. We'll be there as soon as we can..'

Sophie heard Pepper say something, and then her voice over the phone... 'If she says or does anything to you, I will personally kick her ass..'... Sophie chuckled at Peppers words.

'I'm sure you would. Have I told you lately how much I love you..'.. She stood, walking into of her office, towards the elevator.

'I know you love me, you don't need to say it all the time..'.. Sophie could swear she heard Peppers smile.

'Put me on speaker, and mute your end. She'll be here in a moment..'... She heard Pepper acknowledge her, and then she slipped her phone into her pocket, as the doors opened... 'Agent Romanoff, good to see you again..'.. She gestured for the woman to follow her, and the both walked into her office. She shut the door, and pointed to a chair... 'Please, have a seat, I'm sure there's plenty to talk about..'

Sophie took her phone from her pocket, placing it screen down, on her desk as she sat back in her chair... 'What can I do for you?'

'First I want to apologise for how you were treated when you came to us for help. Myself and Hill had discussed it before hand, how Fury was acting, and we were both concerned. I have done some digging over the past week, and I have been tracking him since he was fired..'.. Sophie watched her, and she could tell, the Agent was afraid.

She linked her fingers on her desk, her eyes dating to her screen... 'And what have you found?'

'Fury had a son, one none of us knew about. There was nothing in any of our files, no proof he existed, but he did..'.. Romanoff took a deep breath... 'I overheard a conversation he had with someone over the phone. The phone has a program on it, that not even our best could break it. Hill has the recording, if you get in contact with her, she will send it to you..'

Sophie knew the woman was telling the truth. Turning back to her screen, she slipped through the system to director Hills office, patching through and turning the directors camera on, to talk... 'Hello director. May I just say, you are definitely an improvement over the last one, better looking too..'.. She gestured for Romanoff to come around the desk.

'Thamk you Dr Connors, though I suppose I have you to thank for that. Having the president to call and offer me the position personally, was quite a highlight..'.. Hill chuckled... 'I see Romanoff is with you, I take it she has told you?'

'She has. Could you play it for me please? If you attempt to send it to me, you will have someone tracing you. You have a few moles in your garden director, but do not worry, I'm sure Romanoff can assist you on removing them..'.. Sophie already created a hard copy file with all the names.

She watched Hill pull out a device, and tapped a button, holding it towards the screen.

F: 'We're closing in, and we'll have her soon..'..

'Good. Bring her home. I'm sure the others will enjoy giving her a warm welcome..'.. The second voice chuckled. Sophie frowned, she recognised the voice.

F: 'She'll pay for taking Lucas and Drew, I'll personally make sure of it. We still have a few who are loyal to me. They're keeping track. I'm sure she's in the system, so they will bring the evidence to our meeting point..'..

'Once that's done, we'll push for you to be reinstated director. What of Hill? Where does her loyalty lie?..'

F: 'Compromised, as are the Avengers. I'm sure I can sway Rogers. Barton will follow Romanoff. Stark and Banner are on her side. We are still trying to obtain her blood sample, we'll find a way to control her..'

'And those that work for her? Could they be persuaded to join us?..'

F: 'That is my next move. I'm sure we can find something on one of them, if they're not willing..'

'Enough..'.. Sophie sighs, shaking her head. She looks at Romanoff who was perched on the edge of her desk, and Hill on the screen... 'I think I know why he's gunning for me. Can you come to the tower Hill? Bring Barton and Rogers with you too..'

'Of course. We can be there within the hour..'.. Hill tells her.

'Be safe, I'm sure they'll have something planned for you all..'.. She closes down the call, and stands heading to her fridge to grab two beers. Popping the lids off, she hands one to Romanoff... 'Oh, Tia is pissed, and wants out. But don't worry, she won't hurt you..'

Nat took a drink, and watched Sophie pace about... 'Would you know who he was talking to?'

'Yeah, yeah I know. While Hill played the recording, I ran it through voice recognition software, Alexander Pierce..'.. Sophie saw the slight shock in Romanoff... 'I know why they're after me. And as fore being thrown out into the media, that I'm guessing was Fury. He knew this whole time, they both did..'

Sophie walked over to her desk, and picked up her phone... 'Tony, you still there?'

'Yeah, I'm here. Is it what I think it is?'... He asks.

'Yep. Pepper, can you send out an order, clearing the tower of all personnel, give them paid leave until further notice. Tony, I'll have Jarvis scan everyone as they leave, making sure no one has taken anything..'.. She shot off a quick message to Bruce.

'We just walked in, we'll be up in a few..'.. Tony tells her and hangs up. Sophie looks to Romanoff... 'This isn't your fight, and I'm sorry you've been pulled into it. I'll tell you all, everything when the others arrive. It's upto you all, what you want to do, I won't stop you..'

Nat watched her. Fury had a son, but died, and the way he was so set on coming for Dr Connors, she was beginning to think the woman had something to do with his death. Though, it was most likely Tia, than Sophie...

😘