CHAPTER 12

Third Person's POV.

At evening Salvatore was oddly secretive and locked himself in his study. Ava noticed this change and was anxious herself, about what was up with him and what he was doing inside the study for hours now. She felt like she was missing something, everything was tangled. Everything that happened made her suspicious.

Why was he going along with the trial if he was not guilty? Why was he okay with public literally hating him? Why was he okay with few of his businesses getting in loss? Why was he making himself a target? What was his intentions? People were banning him from sites and many politicians and business owners and celebrities spoke out against him. People were protesting against him. He never shared his intentions with her whenever she tried to ask. He would always told her how knowing this could actually put her and Maria in danger.

She was uneasy thinking that his secretive behaviour had something to do with those dangerous things he was trying to keep Ava and her daughter save from. She also had a feeling that she might be forgetting something. She sat in the lounge for a while waiting for him to come out but she got tired and left for her room, eventually. Suddenly she heard a knock on her door. Maria was sleeping and the knock was gentle, so she realized it could be only one person who's this considerate about them. Salvatore Agosti.

"Yes?" The door opened quietly and Salvatore stepped inside. Looking tired, as though he had put great strain on his eyes for an amount of time. "Can we talk? I need to give you something." He whispered and Ava nodded. Walking to the couch and sitting there. Salvatore sat next to her slowly, not sure if he was allowed to. But Ava said nothing so he relaxed a little.

"So today, was actually my birthday." Then realization dawned on her, why he was home early when he was not supposed to. And the cake. "Oh! The cake. I'm sorry, it was for your birthday? You didn't even get to cut it." Salvatore saw the guilt in her expressions and shook his hand hurriedly. "No no, I bought it for you guys. It's good that you likened it, it's all that matters." She still looked at him with sorry gaze but nodded at him.

"Actually I made something for you and Maria." He pulled out a pearl bracelet from his pocket. Still unsure if he could touch her or not he asked, "Can I please put it on for you?" He looked at her pleading. His eyes reminded Ava of a puppy, desperately waiting for a treat, he knew he wasn't supposed to have.

Ava fought a battle of decisions in her head about what to do. And one side she remembered how his hands hurt her that night. But on the other hand he was nothing but gentle around them, always cautious, even while breathing, as thought he was surrounded by feathers and his breath alone would make them fly away.

She also thought about being professional and not giving in, but nothing was professional about living in your client's house to begin with. Especially if he was your ex husband, though in name only. She looked at the grey eyes and sighed, how could she deny him when he looked at her like that. Like his life depended upon the next thing she said.

"Okay." She whispered in a trembling voice. And cringed inwardly at her voice. Why did it tremble like that? Her breath hitched the moment his finger tips touched her wrist and she realized the scar from her past decisions was there. She was him taking her wrist watch off. She constantly wore something to cover the scar.

"Ava." He whispered, his voice filled with emotions and his eyes were damp. He held her wrist up gently and his lips touched her scar and traced it in a whisper of kisses. Her body jolted and she stiffened but she couldn't pull away from such gentleness. His lips moved to the tattoo on her ring finger and lingered there. Loving the feel of her soft hands.

Ava realized something then, that however strong she gets she still craved it, the gentle touches she dreamed of all her life. Not just any gentle touches but his gentle touches, his lips on her.