Nineteen. On the other side of the world

It's been a wonderful week back home

It's been a wonderful week back home. I knew I needed this break, but I didn't realize how badly. I headed to my home in Hampstead for a few days to decompress and have complete silence. I didn't talk to another soul for two whole days. On the third day I called Mum and told her I'd be on my way to Holmes Chapel momentarily.

I always look forward to time with my mum and sister and various cousins and aunts and uncles. I've been away from home for several years now and this is the first real trip back home for rest that I've had in far too long. A few weeks off and then back at it. It feels like this tour has been ten years long already. 

There are times when I get lonely. I know that's probably hard to imagine considering I've got thousands upon thousands of girls who throw themselves at me constantly. My last relationship ended abruptly and I've been working non stop ever since. It was difficult to have any semblance of a relationship while maintaining the current tour schedule, but I gave it my best and it seemed to work for a bit. Like most things and most people however, it came and went. It would be nice to have some sense of normalcy in a relationship and I would love to meet someone, but for now it's either a casual hook up for a night or two or nothing at all. I'm ok with that I suppose, I don't really have a choice in the matter.

I head back to America in a couple of weeks and then it's right back to work. Couple of shows to make up for being sick last year and then I have to prepare for the Grammy's. I'm pretty focused on that. I make the drive to mum's and it's always as if I can literally feel the tension leave my shoulders once I cross into Holmes Chapel. Home is where the heart is. I love England with all of my heart and I appreciate it more and more each time I come back home to visit.

Mum greets me with open arms and a cup of black coffee, just as I like it. We talk about tour and life in America and then she asks me if I'm seeing anyone. She wants me to be happy, she hates to think of me in a surrogate country away from my family and lonely. I assure her that I'm not lonely, nor do I have time to be. I laugh as she tells me of this friend or that friend who has a really nice daughter and I give her a look that lets her know I'm respectfully not interested. Mum thinks I can just meet people the normal way, there's nothing normal about my life but I don't have the heart to explain it.

Gemma arrives with her long time boyfriend and I breathe a sigh of relief as hopefully it will take the focus away from me a bit and she can bombard Gemma with questions of weddings and upcoming grandchildren that she seems to want. Gemma's a saint for taking one for the team. Our sibling team. I know she'll corner me in her own way later to ask questions about my love life, or lack thereof.

"I like this mum. 'S pretty." I put my arm around her as she puts the finishing touches on our Boxing Day meal.

She touches the necklace to remember which one she's currently wearing and she tells me it used to belong to my grandmother. We enjoy our time together and I fly under the radar remaining unnoticed here, I think that's the thing I love most about coming home now. I can disappear for a bit. London is ok, but I still manage to get followed and recognized and photographed without my permission. It's a bit like living in a giant fishbowl really and I never get used to it. I know it comes with the territory, but there's something about being photographed during my private moments that still sets me off. I can't show it of course really, but my face usually tells the tale in the creeper photos.