CHAPTER 17

Alec was talking to Lydia in the control room when the Enclave arrived. Himogenes Herondale, the leader of the group, was accompanied by about six guards all armed, as well as a silent brother carrying the mortal sword and other instruments of interrogation. They crossed the room, greeting Lydia and asking her to prepare the room for Isabelle's judgment.
Alec was doing his best to convince Lydia to postpone the judgment or to insist to the Enclave that they look for Jace and Abbigael and also hold them responsible for the attack, because they were also present during the incident and were the leaders. However, Lydia did not want to hear anything and said that she did not have the power to contradict the Enclave and withdraw her complaint against Isabelle Lightwood. The silent brother was particularly frightening, with his impassive expression and the mortal sword in one of his hands. Himogenes Herondale had a dominant presence, exuding authority and power.
Despite the tension in the room, Alec persisted in his efforts to save Isabelle. He was willing to risk his own life for her. But with the Enclave having made the decision to hold a judgment, things seemed more and more gloomy for Isabelle.

Abby stayed outside for a while, even though it was cold. She wanted to have a moment just for herself, alone, without any voices around her telling her what to do. Voices never say the same thing, and she needed a little time to think. Clary and Simon came out to explain to her that Jace was getting better, and suggested that she could go see him if she wanted to. Simon let go of Clary's hand and went forward to leave the twins alone for a while. It was at this moment that Abbigael realized that they were holding hands. Clary sat down next to her twin and put her head on her shoulder. Neither of them spoke, they only recharged their emotional batteries. After a few minutes of staring into the void, Abby stood up and gave her sister a kiss on the forehead. "Promise me to stay safe with Simon at the Dumort."After receiving an answer from Clary, she returned, knowing that she wanted to see Jace. The restaurant was empty, except for Michael, who was sitting on one of the tables. Luke had probably asked the wolves not to interrupt them.
"Luke went to get your twins and the vampire," Michael suddenly says. "Who is he to you exactly?" "Luke. I know he loved your mother at the time," his voice was bitter, "but who is he to you and your twin?"
"I don't really see how it's any of your business, but since you're asking the question, he's our dad. He told me that you were friends when you were teenagers. You should be glad that he is finally with the woman he loves, the same goes for Jocelyn. She should finally be with a good person, someone who loves her for herself and not a man who only wanted children to manage," Abby slows down the pace of her speech so that he has time to hear all the words she was saying, before looking him straight in the eye.
"You will be surprised to see the number of Shadowhunters who only want children to wage war. That's our goal as Shadowhunters," he replied. For the first time, Abby began to lose her means, she no longer knew what to say. "You should go see Jace, he's just waiting for that."
Abby was taken aback by the discussion, she was right, she knew it, but she was going to keep it to herself until she was more than sure. Abby walked silently to the bedroom where Jace was resting. She was relieved to know that he was getting better When she entered the room, she saw Jace lying on the bed, as usual playing with his stepmother. He looked peaceful, but she could see the marks of the attack on his neck. Abby walked over gently and took Jace's hand. She calmly walked over to Jace, who had regained his colors, he seemed fit and full of energy. She sat down on the chair that was in front of him at the same time he straightened up to be at her height, he seemed happy to see her, he was
-Thank you for bringing me here and calling Clary for some blood. I guess she's going to stay with Simon at the Dumort. Abbigael sprawled on the chair from fatigue and vaguely answered what Jace had just asked him. He leaned over to her. "How long has it been since you slept, Bi?"
"I don't really know," she straightened up a little to pretend that everything was fine, "and it wasn't me who had an injury that made me scream on the benches."She didn't give Jace time to answer and changed the subject. "Your father?"
"You found him again. That's why I'm going to find your mother. Besides, he must know where she and Valentine are", Jace was really happy to have found her, so Abby decided to take her time to tell him what she was thinking.
"The child whose bird was killed when he was little, is that you?"She realized that she had no energy left and that it was hard for her to take tweezers when she was talking. "I am mistaken."
"This is my father. All he wanted was to teach me a life lesson."
"By killing your pet, Jace. There is teaching a child a lesson and killing his animal when he is 10 years old."Abby caught her breath, "And what now, you don't believe in love? And I'm not talking to you about falling in love", even if the thought that he didn't believe in the possibility of falling in love hurt him, "but you love Alec and Isabelle or Maryse. So what do you believe in?"
He got even closer to her. She had a second of regret. Maybe it was a little mean to have said that and to have said it like that. They were within a few inches of each other. Jace didn't waste a second and kissed her, a simple little kiss, and then they parted. Jace looked at her then moved closer to her ear and slipped, after kissing her, "I believe in you."Then this time it was Abbigael who kissed her. He put one of his hands on her jaw and the other on her hips to bring her closer to him. She had her hands in Jace's hair, undoing it. Abby hasn't had many kisses in her life, so out of anxiety she bit Jace's lip. She felt him smile through their kiss. Abby was happy to be sitting, she probably would have fallen to the ground if she had been standing. Jace and Abby stepped back as they heard a growl coming from the far end of the room. Luke stood on his feet. He had not stopped looking at Jace when the two young men had turned to him.
"We are waiting for you, Michael will explain to us what he knows."He left the room. Abby got up and put her hair back on, part of her hoped Michael wouldn't guess anything.
-He's going to kill me, a gleam of amusement passed through Jace's eyes.
-I don't know, she was still gasping for breath from the kiss. My sister didn't kill you, and he didn't kill Simon.
-Simon kissed you, his muscles tensed at the thought.
-What? No, Abby realized what she had just insinuated, no, but it seems logical to me that he kissed Clary, right? I mean, didn't you see how they were holding hands?
-Yes, I noticed, he bent his knees so that she could be at the same height and straighten her hair properly. But I thought you were the first to know. That's right, she was the one who should have known. So you're going to kill Simon? Jace pulled Abbigael out of his reverie.
-I haven't really had time to think about it. Jace laughed at his comment and the two went to meet Luke and Michael in the dining room. Luke and Michael hadn't sat next to each other as if they were avoiding each other, so Jace sat next to his father and Abby next to his.