Chapter 18

Jace had spent the last two days trying to find Valentine by any means the Enclave could offer. He had not seen Abbigael since Renwick, and no one had really seen her. As for Alec, he had not taken the time to leave his office because he had to finalize the current files before the wedding. Isabelle had spent the day before organizing the wedding. She decided to go to the airport to visit Simon who had returned. Isabelle was planning to have a bachelor party. "Many would say that a good bachelor party is a lot of girls and alcohol," Simon says, realizing what he had just said. "But for me, I think the most important thing is to be surrounded by the people we love."Raphael entered the room to help Simon choose a suit for the wedding, and Isabelle took the opportunity to leave and leave them between them.

Abbigael hasn't been out of her room for two days. No one had come to check on her and she hadn't eaten, as usual when the situation got out of her control. She forced herself to get out of bed and go take a shower, then get dressed. She just wanted to spend some time with her dad, so as not to sink into her own thoughts. Abby came out of her room, she went to the kitchen first to get something to eat. Other Shadowhunters were in the room and started whispering when they saw her, but Abby did her best not to pay attention to them. She then went directly to the room where Jocelyn was. She knew that this is where she could find Luke, who was standing in front of Jocelyn still unconscious. Luke had stayed all night with Jocelyn to keep her company and tell her what she had missed in recent months. They had transformed the small training room for Jocelyn, being neither sick nor injured, she could not stay in the infirmary.
"Do you think she can hear us?"asked Abbigael while climbing the small steps.
"What would you tell him?"Luke turned to his daughter, glad that she had finally come out of her room. After a silence on his part, he continued, "I don't know, to be honest. You said it was her choice to drink the potion."She nodded in agreement. "I've never heard of it, your mother hid it from me and all the other people, so I have no idea what it's about. Neither did Magnus."
"You called Magnus. I didn't think he would always want to help us."She sighed with fatigue. "I still have to repay him for when he saved your life."
"Kiddos."He put his hands on his daughter's shoulder. "It was for me, so I'll pay for it. And yes, I got in touch with him again to find out if he was the one who made the formula for the potion, but it's not him, nor Doth. Hey kiddos, you can talk to me if you need to."
Why would I need to talk to you? Abby avoided Luke's gaze.
Luke was about to answer when Alec arrived, a small smile at Abbigael's attention, looking for Lydia. Luke addressed a smile for his daughter and left in front, returned to work, leaving them together. Abbigael turned and faced her mother, her arms were moving in the mist around her body. Abby vaguely remembered the moment when she had returned the mortal cup to Alec and the Enclave. Alec climbed the last steps to join Abbigael. Alec began the conversation shyly:
-How's she doing?
-Nothing has changed, all we know, according to Luke, is that it was neither Magnus nor Doth who made the potion that put her in this state. Abby finally looked Alec in the eye. "Look, I know that you and I don't see things with the same eyes, but I want to thank you for everything you've done for me."Abby didn't expect any response from him, she understood Alec much more than he could imagine.
-Actually, I should be the one to thank you. "I don't know what would have happened to Isabelle if you hadn't brought the cup back, and even though they said the trial was over, I know they wouldn't have stopped until they got the cup back. You saved my sister, so I thank you."
-Everything around me is falling apart but Alec Lightwood who thanks me, that's out of the ordinary, she smiles, for the first time since meeting Valentine. Alec didn't have time to answer when he received a call from Magnus.
-Magnus wants to see me, he had a forced little smile. "I'll try to get more information on how to wake up your mother, even if he wasn't the one who created the potion, I think he must be able to undo the spell."Staring into the void, he left the room to go to Magnus, as agreed in his text message. Abby watched Alec leave, hoping that one day she might have the strength from Magnus to persevere to have what she desires.

Alec no longer needed to remember the way to Magnus' house, he knew it by heart. His body knew when to turn and, while thinking about the situation, he realized that he was right in front of Magnus's building, slightly out of breath. He entered Magnus' house, who appeared a short second later wearing a navy blue blazer that highlighted his complexion. The first time Alec had come, he was sure that this room was the room in which they had summoned the demon, and the second time it was some kind of kitchen.
Magnus: "I wasn't sure if you would come," with a smile on his lips, he showed a glass of red wine in Alec's hands, "and you know how I don't like to drink by myself."
Magnus walked up to Alec to have a drink with him, but Alec stepped back and placed his glass on the first table he found, which earned Magnus an almost imperceptible movement of retreat. Alec took a second to try to control the beating of his heart in vain, explaining that he had not come for a drink, but to find out how the progress was going regarding the search for the warlock who had set up the potion given to Jocelyn, and how to find her. Magnus replied with a little bitterness that it might take some time to find him.
"By the way, after the process, I didn't really have time to tell you what I was thinking," in turn, he put the glass on the table, "I like Lydia, what she did during the process, few Shadowhunters would have had the courage to do that for Isabelle."
"So, you understand me," for the first time since he had arrived, Alec looked Magnus in the eye.
"No, I understand her, she. I like her, but that doesn't mean you have to marry her."
"If, Magnus, you don't understand, I have duties to my family."
"You're going to be sad and lonely all your life, and so is she," without breaking eye contact, he continued, "neither of you deserves this, nor me."
"There is nothing to complain about, I am going to get married. You and I understand marriage in a very different way."
"For me, getting married means promising yourself to the person we love for the rest of our lives, and for you, it's for a reputation, a name or even an action that won't change anything, except in the eyes of your parents who are the ones who make the mistakes that you have to fix," Magnus cut in.
"With the Shadowhunters, it's a matter of family and honor," replied tack to tack.
"Honor? What is honorable about living in a lie?"
"I don't see what you're talking about."
-Love Alec, Magnus was walking in Alec's direction. "I'm talking to you about love, even shadowhunters fall in love," he says. He paused for a short second before resuming, "Just tell me that you are in love with Lydia and I'll stop". Alec was short of breath in front of Magnus, he knew very well that he could not say what Magnus was asking him because it was wrong. Alec thought that Magnus was waiting for an answer, so he found an answer that would not commit him to anything :
"I don't know," Alec says. Magnus did not take his eyes off Alec, his head slightly bent. "You... you have to stop what you're doing to me, you're giving me back... you're making me confused," Alec says, unable to breathe properly. Realizing the distance Magnus had traveled and the small space that separated the two young men, Alec moved and turned his back on Magnus.
"Confusion is part of the process. That's how you start to realize that there's something behind it," Magnus says, moving forward to be close to Alec again. "Emotions are never all white or all black, they are more like... symphonies," Magnus said, starting to slowly turn around Alec, who stayed in place for him. "You lose your breath when you are near this person or even when you are in the same room, your heart beats faster," Magnus says, describing the symptoms. "And without realizing it, Alec put his hand on his heart", he continued, "your skin shivers as if you feel his breath on your skin". Magnus was only a few inches away from the back of Alec's neck. He turned to face Magnus. "I know you feel the way I feel, Alec," he said. Their two faces were so close. "It would be enough if I bent my head to kiss her," Alec thought.
"How can you know how I feel? I myself have no idea how I feel," Alec replied, withdrawing from this proximity. "It's easy for you, isn't it?", he continued, "you flirt, you laugh, you use magic". Magnus was deeply hurt by the way Alec saw him. "At the end of the day, you don't risk anything," he added. "What if I feel the same way you do?", for the first time, Alec allowed himself to think this or even to utter it out loud. "You would like me to give up my life for you, my family. As a shadowhunter, I have to make choices for myself, for my family, my career. You just don't understand".