CHAPTER 15

Isabelle was sitting in the laboratory with the corpse of the damned behind her. She was trying to understand why the damned man had angel blood in him. When Isabelle understood, she hurried to the entrance of the institute to warn the others. Hodges, breathless, sweating, held his gleaming blade in one hand and his bloody wound in the other. He had almost finished his training when two damned rushed into the room. They each held a machete in their hands and seemed ready to do anything to reach their target. Hodges, surprised, put himself in a fighting position. The first damned one approached quickly, but Hodges was faster. He dodged the attack and delivered a powerful blow to the throat of the damned, who immediately collapsed. The second damned threw himself at Hodges from behind, but he was ready. He stooped down to pick up something near the damned one he had just killed and, with a quick movement, raised his arm to shove it into the belly of the other damned one. But the damned did not allow himself to be done. He gritted his teeth, tore the object from his belly and, without a word, attacked Alec who had just arrived with his arrows in his hand. Alec shot three arrows into the damned, but the latter remained standing, ready to fight back. Hodges, seeing Alec in trouble, rushed to help him, but the damned one was faster. He gave him a blow with a machete that caused him to fall to the ground, his wound reopening and the pain invading him. The damned then turned around to attack Alec. But Hodges, knowing that this was their only chance, waited until the damned was with his back to him to inflict the fatal blow. Isabelle finally arrived, out of breath, and saw Alec on the ground with a large gash on his shoulder. She rushed to him to see if he was okay. Hodges, meanwhile, didn't seem too hurt, despite his injury reopening.

Simon is angry and feels betrayed by Abbigael who has made the decision to transform him without his consent. He feels isolated and misunderstood, not knowing how to cope with his new existence as a vampire. Simon is overwhelmed by his emotions and needs time to understand what is happening to him. This pushes him to flee the situation. Abbigael arrived by herself, Jace had stayed with Clary while she picked up Simon's things.
"Simon, wait, please."
"It's true what you said, I was dead and you were... you decided to bring me back. You had no right to make this decision for me."
"Someone had to take it. How you wanted me to know if you wanted to die human at 18 or try to live..."Abbigael could no longer find her words.
"Forever."Abby took a step towards him to try to console him. "Don't touch me, I never want to see you again."He ran back, just as Jace and Clary arrived.
"I'll let you take care of Simon. When you've managed to calm him down, take him to the DuMort so that we can teach him one or two little vampire tricks."And Raphael left without waiting for an answer. Jace called Isabelle to give them news.
"The Institute was attacked by the damned."
"I'm going to go back to the Institute to help them. I'll let you take care of Simon."
"What? But you forgot what dad said about becoming something else, that we had to be there for him."
"It's him. He said he wanted to have a quiet moment with you. I have a strong temper and you are calmer. It's just more reassuring for him."She took the things from Clary's hands, asked Jace with a look to watch over her sister and left for the Institute. Clary turned to Jace and asked him :
"You can tell when Alec and Izzi are lying."
"Most of the time, yes. Why?"
"When we were little, we knew each other by heart. I could tell for miles if she was lying or not, and for a few years now, sometimes, I feel like she's more of a stranger than my sister. It only lasts a little second and I regret having thought it."
"If you're wondering if she just lied to you, the answer is yes, but she's doing it to protect you and Simon. What happened to make her change so much?"
"I don't know, no one knows."

Isabelle was busy at the computer while her brother and father took care of watching Magnus strengthen the institute's shields. Meliorn arrived accompanied by a guard, which surprised Izzy. She got up and took him in her arms.
"In your message, you said that we shouldn't see each other anymore and now you're jumping in my face. You are difficult to understand, Isabelle."
Their reunion was short-lived. Meliorn was taken to Lydia's office to be interrogated.
"Meliorn, you are under arrest for stealing information from a Shadowhunter for Valentine."
The guards who surrounded Lydia took her to her office.
"Are you crazy or what?" Isabelle asked.
"Me? You're lucky I didn't stop you too."
"What are you talking to me about?" Isabelle asked.
"It is very clear that your relationship with the fairy Meliorn has allowed the dissemination of compromising information."
"You are not so different from Valentine. The only difference is that he says it loud and clear that he hates downloaders, while you hide behind laws," Isabelle replied before leaving without giving Lydia time to reply.
She walked over to her brother who was working out. She wanted to talk to her big brother so she could calm down a little bit.
"This is the Enclave that commissioned Lydia. She has nothing to do with it," explained Jace, who had just arrived.
The discussion very quickly took a different path. Alec, on his nerves, explained that the Enclave may have been right to send their parents back to Idris and that they were liars. He kept saying that Lydia was right and that she had nothing to do with the Enclave's decisions.
"We shelter Valentine's two daughters, and we let them do everything without any restrictions. Where are they, by the way?"Alec asked.
"With their daddy," Jace replied.
"Another member of the circle," Lydia added as she entered the room.
"You must be the famous Jace Wayland," she said, holding out her hand to him, which he did not take. "Did you tell them the news?" seh tells to Alec.
"What news?"Jace asked.
"We're going to get married."
"What? But you've known each other for less than three days," Jace was surprised.
"And then, Alec has a sense of responsibility, that's all that matters," Lydia replied.
"Very well, if you intend to ruin your life, I'm not staying here to watch the disaster," Jace says before leaving with Isabelle.