Chapter 13

Clary and her sister went to the room occupied by Magnus. Luke was lying on the bed, full of bondage, the blood that passed through Luke's bonds was spank contrast with the velvet red of Magnus's bed, he looked Abby straight in the eyes:
-Thank you, Kiddo, your little bondages saved my life.
-It's you that you can thank, it's you who taught me this, Abby was content to say the minimum, the situation being strange she didn't want to speak more than necessary.
-I know you must have a lot of questions.
-Not much anymore, we just want clarification and your side of the story, Abby cut in. Luke took a deep breath, they had to know, and everything they were going to find out was going to bring up bad memories of his past.
"About twenty years ago, your father Valentine Morgenstern, your mother and I, at that time we both had different first names, her name was Jocelyn Fairchild before getting married to Valentine and then became Jocelyn Morgenstern and my name was Lucian Graymark. The three of us started a band, the initial idea came from Valentine but neither I nor your mother saw the problem of this band quite early. Valentine has always been very smart, and people have always listened to him. He had started experimenting on himself with the blood of downloaders, and what the group was to save the mundane turned without anyone realizing it into a group of hatred towards downloaders maybe in Valentine's eyes that has always been the main goal of the circle, but your mother and I have always believed that it was to save the mundane. Your mother was the first to realize the danger that Valentine represented, that these thoughts were extremist, I was probably blinded by my parabatai link to notice things.
When Jocelyn pointed out to me what was wrong, we got closer, or rather we became as close as we were before Valentine came into our lives. And Valentine noticed his parabatai and his wife, it was not going to go unnoticed, he became jealous and possessive very quickly. One day he came to find me at my house, and explained to me that there was a pack of werewolves that had harmed innocent people and at that time, we thought we were vigilantes so we went there, I entered first and Valentine never entered, he locked me in the little house where the werewolves were on a full moon day and a wolf doesn't like to be disturbed on full moon nights. That day our bond was broken and the full moon that followed I turned into a wolf for the first time."
-But it's as if he killed you it's your parabatai, Clary felt stupid for having formulated this in the present tense and reformulated, it was your parabatai how he could have done this to you.
-He injected demon blood into his veins, Luke wanted to continue but was interrupted by Abbigael.
-It's a bit racist to excuse acts because of a question of blood, it's the same story as arresting a black person, because they are black. Luke was the proudest of fathers when he heard her words.
-Not really, you're right about the downloaders it will be racism, but demon blood has a different effect on human blood and the blood of a shadowhunter, human blood in contact with demon blood kill you or is followed by some kind of transformation, a vampire is not a human who was injected with demon blood, centuries ago it was the case, but now evolution means that a vampire does not have a high level of demon blood in their veins and they turned into vampire blood which has our time is a blood to itself. But pure blood is injected into a Nephilim like Valentine, first it burns him, it's as if his blood inside his body is bubbling, it can drive a man crazy. Valentine quickly realized that the blood of creatures other than Nephilim had no effect on him. So, when your mother got pregnant for the first time, he injected demon blood into her veins.
-We have one big sister/brother, Abby remembered when she was younger, she often dreamed of a big brother, she had always wanted to have one.
-Yes, Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern, when your mother gave birth to him, she did not feel what a mother feels when she gives birth to a child, Jocelyn never stopped telling me that it was not her child, it has happened to her that she had seizures or she hit her head against a wall and keeps repeating that it was her fault and that it was not her son. He and Valentine died after Jocelyn betrayed him during the meeting organized by the Clave for an agreement between the downloaders and the Shadowhunter Valentine had planned to steal the cup that was displayed there, and he succeeded but your mother stopped him and fled with the cup. A week later everyone heard about the death of Valentine and his son who burned the cup in the Fairchild mansion and left no other traces.
Abby and Clary took a few seconds to assimilate what they had just discovered; it was a lot of a sudden. They hadn't yet realized what it meant to be Valentine's daughters or who he really was. Now Abby had managed to put a character on the face and on the name, nothing reassured her, but she keep herself from saying it. She went without a word for her dad or her sister to Magnus to finally accept the shower he had offered her an hour ago, Magnus with a spare bag with an outfit belonging to Abby and Clary that they had left there a few years ago.