Blazing Heart

I had the same dream last night that I've been having for the last seven years. She has black hair, golden eyes, and soft pink lips sunken in a frown. Her eyebrows are furrowed, and she's angry, but only on the surface.

When I see her eyes, it's almost like she's screaming silently with her soul. Fooling everyone by hiding the sadness with anger. But I see her. I see the black flames erupting from her in all directions. I see the people running afraid of her, but I don't. My smile always confuses her as she expects me to run too.

She doesn't know that I could never run from her, nor would I ever want to. She doesn't know what color my flames are.

In this world, everyone holds a flame. Some colors are more compatible than not. Blues and reds don't typically go together as easily as blues and yellows, BUT if those inherent differences are overcome, it can be a more fulfilling relationship.

In the past, people were primarily grouped in factions of the same color. They tried to bury the reason why that changed. But I know why.

Nowadays, some still stick to those ideals, but the world is more mixed. There's an abundance of purple, green, and orange flames. Though those aren't the only colors, in the City of Ignis, they're the majority.

I wonder if I'll ever meet the woman with the black flames. I started having that dream as a teenager, and I haven't met her yet. I would have traveled to another city or country but I always see her here.

I sigh as I walk down Third Street, not bothering to stop at any of the food trucks or stalls. All of the voices, haggling, arguing, and phone calls just are barely audible. I'm overtaken with a sense of longing as I stop and look to my right.

Maybe a smoothie will get my mind off of her. I pay for a strawberry banana and continue walking. I'm not ten feet away from the smoothie stand when I'm hit with a strange feeling permeating through my body. I've never felt anything like it.

Tuning back into the world, I hear an even louder commotion than you'd hear at 5 pm on a Friday.

"Who in the...what the HELL are you?!"

I hear someone scream amid a condensed crowd up ahead, followed by a haughty laugh that makes that strange feeling even stronger.

"I WAS someone who was minding my business before you started harassing me." She says in an irritated tone.

"Aw, come on. I was just trying to get to know you."

"You don't have to grab someone to get to know them when they're CLEARLY ignoring you." She responds with anger rising in her voice with every word.

My heart is racing as I'm moving quickly through the crowd. I can't see them yet, but I know. I know it's her.

"Yeah," his voice becomes serious. "But that doesn't explain why you weren't affected."

I break through the crowd and into the intersection everyone is surrounding, just as he launches a streak of red flames towards her.

He's a primary, which explains his attitude. Not all primaries think they're God's gift, but by his jacket, I can tell he's part of a "Reds Only" faction.

She dodges the streak of red flames, and I get a better look at her. It IS her! Unfortunately, no sooner than I've confirmed her identity, three red fireballs are coming after her.

I manage to get between her and the fireballs and erect a wall of blue flames, successfully stopping blocking them.

"And just who are YOU?!" The harasser yells frustrated.